Saturday, November 30, 2013

Scraps on paper

There are lots of ol West cowboy sayings.  I like a fair number of them for one reason or another.

Often, there is one copied on a small piece of paper, tucked in the pocket of an old barn coat, in a hatband, in the pocket of a pair of wranglers, behind the grand kids pics in my wallet, and ever in books. I spent one rough summer in the Outback of Oregon tying them to tumbleweeds and sage.

Had not realized the extent of this little habit til I found one in the box of rocks...
It was one I have especially liked:  "Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to see other than itself." - Khalil Gibran


5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, truth in those 'little' pieces of paper, and the memories that go with them!

grannymar said...

I have a box of those bits of paper, maybe we should swap them some day!

LL said...

Though oft attributed to President JF Kennedy, it was Khalil Gibran who wrote, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Celia said...

I have a box of those too, what memories return as I read them.

Brighid said...

OLD NFO: and maps to tomorrow, perhaps...

GRANNYMAR: Let's do that!

LL: For some strange reason I knew that, but many do not.

CELIA: Little reminders of words unspoken...