Friday, April 3, 2009

Survival Bookmobile

I have been on the road a lot of late what with all of Himself's various doc & therapy appts. That said, it's a darn good thing that I have a small library of books in my ol SUV. Just drop Himself at the entrance, pull into a nice out of the way space, roll down the windows, and read.
At the moment it's: The Best New British Mysteries, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Stormy Weather, Opera 101, Letters of a Woman Homesteader, & the Lilac Bus. Oh, and one on chicken wrangling, and one on ornamental and useful plants from around the world. There is an emergency kit box in there as well, with a book or two in it. I had to toss the tire chains to fit them in. I wouldn't think of trying to survive without books.

6 comments:

  1. Same here. I have spent many an hour in a car waiting and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always a slow reader and a book could last me for several months. I do like to read but need total silence to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be lost without a book to read. I would have to ponder the universe and it's way to big for me. Give me a book any old day and I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where the Sidewalk Ends, what a treasure! I have A Light in the Attic for my kids, but Sidewalk's been lost... will have to replace it, and soon.

    I never finished the Lilac Bus. But I do keep a book stash in the car, too, of half-read paperbacks and old favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like a lot of Maeve Binchey, Brighid, but the Lilac bus one of my faves.
    I have the movie Where the Sidewalk Ends, is it the same as the book, do you know?
    I never ever travel without a book, I read rather than TV.
    I'm currently reading Fair & Tender Ladies, oh my what a beautiful book about a young girl growing up in Virginia in the early part of the last century, dirt poor all she has is her writing.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. WWW: Sorry, I don't know about the Sidewalk Ends movie.
    I too would much rather read then watch the idiot box.
    Thanks for the tip about the book: Fair & Tender Ladies, sounds like one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete