Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Maxwell The Wonder Cow Dog

The best cow dog around passed away recently, after being our sidekick for many years.  Maxwell The Wonder Cow Dog was a Border Collie, McNab cross that came to us as a yearling. Cute as could be with his black and white coat, one blue eye and one blue/brown eye.  He was given to me with no training on working cattle, but was well schooled on basic commands. 
Everyone he met loved him, as he was ever the gentleman.  After he got the hang of working cattle he was fun to watch.  He could handle just about anything.  One time moving cattle from one large pasture to another, with the gate on top of a knoll, the Cowman sent Max to gather the pasture, push the cattle up the hill, thru the gate, and turn them in the right direction.  Not an easy task for anyone, let alone one dog. As the Cowman was watching Max, and giving hand commands, it was too far for whistle commands, up drives a fellow. 
"I've been watching your dog work for a while, would you be interested in selling him?"
The Cowman had been down this road before with people, "Well I couldn't take less than $5,000 for him" thinking this would end it.  The guy never batted an eye, and asked what form, cash or check, the Cowman wanted the payment in. 
The Cowman replied, "You know by watching him that dog is worth any three cowboys, so I don't think I will be interested in ever selling him."
The guy said, "Here's my name and number, if you ever change your mind give me a call, he's a Great Dog."
He was a Great Dog, he greeted you with gentleness and a wagging tail, he loved to work cattle in the pastures or the corrals, he could fetch and roll in the grass with the grand babies, he was a constant companion, he could make you laugh with his cow skiing trick, and a thousand other things. 
Gentle kind Max, I miss you dearly.

13 comments:

  1. Do you think the man wanted him as a TV or movie dog because he was so smart and agile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is little I can say, but here is something that says what needs to be said.

    “Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man, without his Vices. This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just tribute to the Memory of Boatswain, a Dog.”
    - George Gordon, Lord Byron, “Inscription on the Monument of a Newfoundland Dog”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry. Sounds like he was truly an grand dog. At one time he had Mighty's back. We loved him sight unseen for that.
    As Ramana so aptly quoted "all the Virtues of Man, without his Vices," pretty much says it all.
    You and Max were so lucky to have eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, dear old dog. If only good friends like Max could live forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack and I want to send our deepest condolences. We are so very sorry. I know how much he was loved. It makes me cry. He will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you.
    I have several I can not wait to see myself. I miss them all so much.
    I hope you are doing o.k. I think about you all the time! Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds as if it was Max's time to leave, as well.

    Perfect timing, those cowdogs have.

    Only wish my goat (the yellow lab) had the same sense...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A dog that's worth three cowboys is some dog. And well done Himself for not being tempted by filthy lucre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss... a good dog leaves a huge imprint on the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear of your loss, we too have an old dog in the house (no I mean apart from me) and I'm not looking forward to the time when he leaves us, your Max sounds like he was one hell of a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for the kind words. I'm sorting thru an old box of pictures and when I find the right one I will try to post it.
    We had him cremated and Himself will take his ashes back to the home ranch this summer.
    Poor Gus, I've called him Max a few times the last few weeks, he cocks his scotty head and looks around for his ol mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cow skiing trick? I'd love to see that.

    Hugs on the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor old guy. Losing you dog is like losing a family member. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was very sad to read about the loss of your furry friend. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete