Thursday, February 24, 2011

Standing Tall

Vintage photo collage print, A Girl Needs a Gun, FREE SHIPPING


Jingleworms the ol cowboys called them.  We had plenty of them on one of the ranches.  I killed 35+ in my yard, the last summer we lived there.  They were nasty, would stand up in the grass and hunt your dog, who promptly jumped in the back of the pickup, only to have the jingleworm strike the tires. 
Moving cows one day my horse stopped and wouldn't go forward.  I was paying attention to the cows and not my horse.  When I looked down, we were in a shallow wash, we were surrounded by rattlesnakes.  Being very calm, I gently told my horse to just quietly tip toe between them and carry on with the job at hand.  He did a great job of getting us out of harms way.  I learned that you can wear a cowboy hat, plaid shirt, wranglers, chinks, boots, and spurs and still stand on top of a saddle horn.

12 comments:

  1. Glad we have no Jingleworms in this neck of the woods. If he had, I would become a recluse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good horse! We have them around here in Eastern WA, but I have only seen one in my lifetime, and that was a little one. Jingleworms, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the horse tip-toed through the snakes?? Egads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't think I could do it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that must have been scary. That's always a good principle when confronted by dangerous creatures, keep calm and don't provoke them into getting nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I didn't read this before I went to bed last night. I wouldn't have been able to sleep. You cowgirls are a tough bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have given an arm and a leg to see you stand on the saddle horn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll never forget walking with my grandfather through his cotton field. He wore tan work slacks and simple lace-up shoes. When he would come across a rattle snake he would just nudge it aside muttering, "Get out of here". They moved, and I never saw one strike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yipe and yowza! Good horse, extra sugar for you! Love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We call them "buzz snaps". Have killed many of them around where the cattle were & the oil wells that we produced. Both my father & father-in-law were bit in their youth. Said it was the most painful thing ever. They both survived however & never liked buzz snaps the rest of their long lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You painted a great word picture here.
    I am with rummuser, I want he picture of you standing on the saddle horn. :-)

    ReplyDelete