Thursday, June 4, 2020

A "Could Ya Shack"...



just before Sparta




In a chronicles of Sparta, Oregon article by Phyllis Badgley I came across this:


   "Pioneering families of the area were of necessity hardy souls. Their strength was tried when they endured bitter winters and cleared roof high snowdrifts. Daily chores consisted of breaking solidly frozen ice in watering troughs. Mud was a year round common denominator, but no deterrent to gold seekers who flocked to the area.

(Catharine) Ott smiled when she related the women's view of primitive living under disagreeable circumstances.  Her Mother among other women referred to their living quarters as "could ya shacks", connotation meaning "could ya live HERE and still love him?"



6 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of 'cowboy' but that is a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardy souls indeed! When I was young I would have easily and eagerly accepted such a challenge, now, probably not.Great term!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My idea of roughing it now a days is having to wait for 5:00 to have my cocktail under the motorhome awning ... so I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a hardier breed than most seen today, but the life of a rancher's wife is NOT peaches and cream even today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom and her sisters had part of their childhood in a dirt floor home where the walls were papered with newspapers. It came with the job Grandpa had on a big wheat ranch in Eastern Oregon. Mom
    had some fun photos of the sisters in front of it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments...