Wednesday, March 30, 2011

All's well that ends well...

             
When we sold our house last fall, I did a final clean and walk-thru. In a way, saying goodbye to the only house we ever owned.  All the other 29 moves had been to rentals or ranch housing. 
I had moved out months before, and himself had stayed on til a buyer was found. He did a good job of keeping it up, but didn't see that it wasn't as clean as it could be.  So I spent a last day with the house, cleaning, and polishing.  I made sure the bathrooms had full rolls of TP, new bars of soap, a few fresh towels, new batteries in the alarms, a basket of trash bags, new lightbulbs, cleansers, and watered the garden.  Locking the door behind me the last time, I wasn't sad, there was no need.  When I went by the realtor's to leave my keys, I also left a binder for the new owners.  The binder had a note wishing them nothing but happiness in their new home, all the warranties and manuals for the heating/ac unit, appliances, and fixtures.  The names and info of all the utilities, and services that we had used. Also included were the color codes and brands of paint & stain used. At the end I listed the close neighbors and slipped in a few pictures of the landscape in full bloom. 
I never met the buyers, but my ex said they were nice, all's well. 

13 comments:

  1. A lesson learnt. When I sell my home, which should happen one of these days, I shall follow your footsteps. What a grand gesture. So thoughtful. All will be well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice gift to the new people who will love your old home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have taken note and am already sorting through to begin a file. Who knows when I will need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I have always tried to leave a clean house with the appliance info, etc. I was never as through or thoughtful as you. May you have both peace and fun in this next stage of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed with the kindness & thoughtfulness of that gesture. What a lovely start to the new people's time in your old home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I wish I had bought from someone like you. This house I bought was clean if you had terrible eyesight. The worse thing is that they left "everything". They were a pleasant older(than me even) couple and were pack rats to begin with.
    I mean, a lifttime of used razor blades and every jar ever emptied--come on. I got on a first name basis with the operators of the town dump as I hauled load after load of stuff there. Phew.
    What you did was wonderfully thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for your kind comments. My parents taught me to always leave a place in better shape than I found it.
    A Patti, OMG, I have moved into more than a few of those houses, and like you became well known at the dump...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely housewarming gift. You have a good heart girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celia: Thanks! As you know, we have the really important things inside us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was very considerate of you. When I've moved house I've also left all the appliance manuals and details of where fittings and fixtures were obtained. I'm still frustrated in our new house from time to time because there are virtually no manuals for anything. A lot of trial and error is called for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As so many have said before me, what a kind gesture. It's so clear that you weren't just leaving a house. You were leaving a home - and homes like yours are full of so much of what makes up our lives. Your touches of soaps and toilet paper and the rest, your binder. It seems like what we would leave for the babysitter who stays with our children when we are out for the evening. Love is something isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paula: I've had so many "homes", I must have been born under a wandering star...

    ReplyDelete
  13. and even after so much wandering, you are still a gentle and generous soul.

    ReplyDelete