Friday, June 10, 2011

THE 64TH YEAR


In the beginning there was a young rancher.  He married a country girl. They raised two great children, a lot of cattle, a bunch of dogs, a cat or two, a little hell, and assorted other things.  Life was an adventure with much to learn along the way. Years passed, the kids had kids, the rancher and the country girl grew older. Life was still an adventure but not in ways the country girl could understand. After a time she left the rancher.  It was difficult, they had grown up together the rancher and the country girl, over forty three years of marriage.  They parted as friends she wanted to think, but who really knows.
The rancher passed away last Sunday. He left a brief note about the disposition of his ashes, and chaos behind him.  There remains a daughter shaking with sorrow, a son taking charge of a thousand things, bewildered grandkids, and a country girl caught between madness and sadness.
  

15 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to the country girl and all those feeling the loss at this time.

    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very, very sorry to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry. Remember those good years and just forget the not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share the country girl's sadness and madness. Please tell her that this too shall pass as it did for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you....and one for the country girl....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry sweetie. A very rough spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry! I also feel honored that I was allowed to read this post. I get busy and don't always get around to every post my friends put up - All though painful, I would not wanted to miss it. I am so sorry for your loss. I will be thinking about you this week. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry too. Love never really ends even when people can't live together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and what a beautiful and sad story you told

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like he shouldn't have died when he did, that it was somehow premature. But a time of sadness anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss and for all the saddness for all.
    Thinking of you, C

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched my own children as they took responsibility for the last days of their father's life and then arranged his funeral and the distribution of his meager possessions. I could never have been more proud of my son and daughter than to see them show such unconditional love for a man who basically ignored them all their lives. I know you are equally proud of your two. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your kind comments, they mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sorry to hear of your sad news, here's hoping that you and the children can move forward with good memories, for those are what we should treasure and honour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so sorry to hear this. So beautifuly written. Life in all its simple complexities.

    ReplyDelete