Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Smok'n Summer Job...

There has always been music playing in our house, sometimes country, sometimes soft rock, sometimes classical.  I didn't realize how much, til the grand kids remarked that Marymine could name just about any piece of music, who was playing it, and sing a few bars as well.  So I may have over done the music appreciation thing with her!


As things would be, one summer in the mountains of Oregon with the cattle, I had no way to listen to or play music.  As the cowcamp budget didn't stretch to a stereo system, and we had 1,000 head of cattle, and a few small kids to watch over, there was no time during the day for me to have an outside job. But I figured if I got a night job, while the Cowman and the kids were sleeping, I could save up enough to buy one.  Thanks to a friend of a friend, I got a job cleaning the big local FS headquarters at night.   
Amazingly my love of music lead me to meet some of the funniest, craziest, helo pilots ever. It was like having four big brothers leading the way. I think that's the reason I love flying in helos...  
The guys would often fly in late at night, their ready room was part of the headquarters I cleaned. They were always, always up to something. And occasionally needed extra help on missions.  On more than one occasion, one of them would break get into the locker that held the "most sacred" Smokey the Bear costume, put it on and proceed to fly off to terrorize the country side, or a local tavern...
  
I did earn enough to get the stereo system, so there was once again music in the bunkhouse. More importantly I got some great friends and a love of flying in whirlybirds out of that summer job... 
 

7 comments:

  1. That sounded like a great summer job with memories to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't changed a bit. I'm not RW rated but I can show you crazy Decathlon pilot someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music appreciation can never be overdone:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't imagine being music deprived. Lucky you to find a neat way to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GM: It was a special summer...

    BRIGID: Hey, I've earned all these wrinkles & scars...LOL Let's do it, I've been practicing with my evil RC helo!

    GA: I agree!

    PATTI: Neither can I, and luck is hard work...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound as though you had a great childhood and were raised just right. Love the initiative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those great Summer jobs when we were young and the world beckoned. I worked a very special Summer in a Nursery. The smell of fertilizer still sends me back.

    ReplyDelete