Sunday, February 15, 2015

Guns and Gramps...

There we were on the road to the range, dodging cows, coyotes, and flying things.
 
Them local boys are crafty.

T was back from Front Sight and had lots to show me. I shot 300 hundred+ rounds through the new Walther P22 military.  Don't know why it is labeled military, other than possibly the color scheme.  Great fun to shoot, and a heck of a lot less expensive than the Sig. Now I'm looking for a deal on mags.



Put another couple hundred through the little Sig, before T said to put them away. I had been shooting for nearly five hours straight.

***

I made an appointment for a European facial, on the recommendation of a friend.  It's only been 40 years since I had this luxury done.  Boy Howdy, have things changed.  While she was letting the facial mask work she gave me a shoulders, arms and hands massage... Oh My God, Heaven!  I hadn't realized how sore my hands and shoulders were from all the brush whacking and shooting. I'm saving up to go again, hopefully it won't be quite so long.

***

My cousins sent me a pic of our Grampa (my dad's dad) with his non typical blacktail buck. My brother has the mount and had it scored and ranked in Boone and Crockett.

  
 Dad says Grampa was the best rifle shot and fly fisherman he has ever known.  I mostly remember his beautiful Irish tenor voice singing lullabies, his reading the Sunday papers to us little heathens, and that there was always fresh trout for breakfast when he was in camp.

Grampa & his beloved Willys truck



15 comments:

  1. Things there seem to be in equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of 'a European facial', I must investigate... the old lines need to be tilted upward!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the shooting is going well, and you took a little time for yourself! And I can't help but wonder who got that old Jeep! He looks like he's of the age that knowing how to hunt and fish was more than just sport, it was putting food on the table too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these tidbits.
    Every time I get a massage (which is rare) I wonder how I have survived without them in the meantime and I vow to make it more of a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the day at the range, was the facial camo? Isn't it nice having a 22 when the ammo for it is only about 4 cents a round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had WAY too much fun. The high today was 14 and the only guns I got to play with were cleaned and put back in the safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those photos!

    Soon you'll be an expert with that pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a delight for me to have a pedicure and learn that the chair I sat in was a massage chair. It was amazing and I will go back. Very wealthy people probably own two or thee of those chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love the pictures. What a life you lead and what a legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I am on my death bed, don't call a priest, call a masseuse. Now I will have to check to see if tiny town Ark can supply a European facial. Got a feeling it won't be the same. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that scope on your grandpa's rifle looks a lot like the one I inherited from my dad. great optics even though it is terrible in lower light conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I notice that the men are all commenting on the guns and the women are all commenting on your European facial. Hmmmm. Is there something genetic there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. LL: They are getting there.

    GRANNYMAR: I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    OLDNFO: Thanks. I think my uncle got the last Willy's. You are right he hunted to provide for his family, and others.

    JENNY: You have earned a good spad day.

    ODIE: lol, I will have to ask what color the mask is. Much nicer to be shooting something I can afford to shoot.

    BRIGID: I did have a great time, T is a natural at teaching. I don't have a gun safe safe. Too many are stolen around here.

    LSP: Padre, I have a long way to go, but the journey is part of the fun.

    GRANNYANNIE: LOL, my daughter took me to get a pedi once, I nearly died when the little oriental chick flipped the massage button on at kill level. Came out of that chair, stuffed my wet feet in my socks & boots and retreated to the truck.

    MARCIAMAYO: Hey Dr, so glad to hear from you. I'm thrilled to see that you met a man wise enough to marry you. Blessed be.

    ARKANSASPATTI: I live in a very small town too. The lady was nice, place was very clean, good music choices... I hope you find one.

    DENISMILLER: I believe that scope went to my uncle, I will ask dad about it.

    EURIPIES: I noticed that as well, and that some of the men addressed both facials and guns, while none of the women did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great memories and good shootin! My grandpa used to hunt and feed the family, but I don't have any pictures of him doing that. Maybe my Uncle has them because Mom was/became strongly anti-gun, and got him to quit for fear of him being in a hunting accident. So he went deep-sea fishing out of Half Moon Bay instead, something ten times more dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. NOTCLAUSWITZ: I would be checking with the relative. Old pics are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete