Monday, October 5, 2015

Learning to fly...

A great weekend, even though the North wind blustered on Friday night and Saturday. 



Pilotman flew up Friday evening ahead of the weather, while I brined Dad's catch in preparation for smoking it.
Saturday am, while we were waiting for the smoker to heat up we made a run to the airport to check the tie downs on the plane, all good & secure. 
 We smoked the salmon, which took constant refilling of the Alder chips due to the wind conditions on the patio.  10 hours later we pulled it out, sampled a couple of big strips, and declared it done.
Sunday was sunny and calmer weather, a little turbulence aloft but nothing worrying. We spent the morning scrounging through the old tools, farm implements, and camping stuff at the local antiques fair. It was fun to see if we knew what all the items were used for back in the day. We only got stumped a few times, and usually the owner of the booth could tell us the ones we didn't know.  Pilotman said it was different taking me. "What, how so?"  "You go racing by all the girly girl stuff, and make a beeline for a plane, or a draw knife or an unusual caliper or a bridle."  Sensing the possibility of trouble ahead, I kept my mouth shut. (Yes I know you find that hard to believe, but if I try very hard and concentrate, it is possible... for short periods of time.)  Pilotman laughed, and said he was having a good time.
In the afternoon we took Dad up flying to air him out... and scout the river for future fishing and kayak trips.  I got some time in pre-flighting, and assorted in-flight processes.  When we got back to the airport, as I put the steps in place, and took hold of Dad's arm to help him out, I said... "Thank You for flying Flash & Co Air, the pilot can't be bought... but the help can." 

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a doubt you would rush by the girly stuff. Had a visitor recently who said, "I love to talk to you about the Navy. You know more than most women." Well, my personal sailor taught me well. Hope you aired out all of your dad's salmon smell. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful day, I do hope you got a big tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LL: It was a lot of fun.

    OLDNFO: Thanks!

    GRANNYANNIE: It has been interesting. I think you would be an awesome recruiter, Go Navy! Airing out Dad is not as easy as it sounds...

    WOODSTERMAN: It was a good day for sure.

    GRANNYMAR: You know, come to think of it the ol guy didn't even offer to tip, hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so fun!!! I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete