Friday, December 11, 2015

Abundance...

Dad has had a full week. Besides the daily trip to the oncology treatment center, we went to a Christmas luncheon on Monday.  Great fun and the RB high school choir, dressed in period costumes, sang Christmas carols. Such talented young people.


Dad got to visit with his cronies, always a plus for him.



Thursday I sneaked a lighted Christmas tree into the waiting room at the oncologist's.  Dad asked why I was doing that, I told him I had promised some of the other patients I would, if they didn't rat me out to the office staff. He laughed and said "ok, let's do it".  I got the tree in and setup without any of the staff noticing.  Then one of the patients came in that I had promised. She is in her seventies, not any bigger than a minute, and always wears a bright red plaid tam o' shanter to cover her bald head. Jeez, she started to cry, patted my head and said, "bless you, you did it, it's beautiful!"  When you think you have it rough, you need to go set in the waiting room at the oncologists... everyone there is fighting a battle or caring for someone who is... yet there is an abundance of kindness, and caring, and hope.

PS: Thanks to LL, The man at Virtual Mirage for reminding me... 

Dad's bi-weekly Poker game was held here Thursday night. Dad had notified his buddies at the luncheon, so they showed up in force.  I left them all the snacks and cold beer I could muster as I went off to the RB Readers Christmas gathering.


Got home to find the guys still playing... they pointed to a beautiful Christmas flower arrangement they had brought for me. Such a sweet thing for a bunch of grumpy ol' guys to do. I almost felt bad about Dad cleaning them out, almost...

15 comments:

  1. Okay - I need more details on this tree sneaking thing. How did you manage that with none of the staff noticing? You must be a wizard.

    Glad dad got out with his buddies, and the luncheon looks like is was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne: It really wasn't all that big or difficult, and they were busy in the back office. The ol flurt, Dad, kept them distracted as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised that Dad didn't set up a poker game there in the waiting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL: Thank you for reminding me. I added the poker game to the post.

      Delete
  3. Tis the season and it sounds like you're really into the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, a lot more Christmas spirit in this post than I have seen or read thus far. YOu guys have cornered the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TABOR: It is funny, they have decorated the waiting room... finally, and left the patient tree up... Yay, now for Christmas carols.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. LSP blessed be Padre. Like your lights, by the way!

      Delete
  6. I love you for sneaking in that Christmas tree. Sitting so many hours in the cancer center with Ron was certainly lacking any kind of cheerful decorations. There was no room because so many people took up all the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANNIE: There are a lot of patients at the center here as well. The characters one meets. I like hearing their stories!

      Delete