Sunday, July 17, 2016

Fish'n & Fry'n...

Monday morning, loaded up Dad and headed to Lake Shasta to spend the day on the Oregon brother & sis-in-law's houseboat. Another BIL & SIL where staying with them, so plenty of help with Dad.


The BILs met us at the marina and away we went to a beautiful cove they had tied up the houseboat in.  
It has been awhile since I've been on the lake when it was this high. There weren't many other boats in the area, and the water was perfect. 
While the guys got the poles rigged, I slathered Dad in sunscreen and had him cinch down his lucky fish'n hat. I really need to find a new feather for his hat, cause the mangy look'n goose feather it has does not befit a fisherman of Dad's caliber.


Away they went to fish the day away. All my BIL's are super about taking Dad fishing, they like having him along. He has stories.


two of my six SILs

While the guys where fishing, my SILs and I put together the makings for an early dinner, filled our wine glasses, blew up the floats, and hit the water. None of us are as young as we used to be... I got catywampus on the boat ladder, and had to swim for my float, didn't spill a drop of wine.  Getting on the float in open water, holding a glass of wine was a tiny bit dicey, berserker skills were called into play.  No wine was lost, and we spent most of the day floating around the wine cooler, laughing and telling stories about, well never mind...
 I got a tad sunburned, but I'm old enough to know better, so no excuses.
The guys came in for dinner. Dad was a little tired, but in good spirits as he had caught fish! 


After a great dinner of BBQ'd tri-tip, salad, tomatoes,  & sweet corn, and a few tall tales, we hugged goodbyes. The guys took us back to the marina, helped me load up Dad, and we were on our way home.


It was a perfect day on the water, with family. 



Today, I'm taking Dad to Sunday breakfast at the airport cafe so we can eat pancakes and drool over planes.

29 comments:

  1. Take care of your skin. It can bite you big time. So glad you had such lovey weather. It is hot and humid here and going out on the boat requires someone who really wants to fish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, You would think I would know better, I have some great skin ointment that Dad's radiologist gave me.
      It was hot, but not humid, we have a dry heat around these parts.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice stringer of fish!!! Did Dad catch any of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL, It was a nice stringer. Three of the four caught were Dad's. Strangely, they have grown bigger with each telling...

      Delete
    2. They were respectable fish and I'm glad that Dad's fishing mojo worked for him.

      Delete
  3. Best of times.

    Figures that Viking berserkers would vacation on a boat. Did you pillage a village while out on the water? Am I going to read in the papers that Redding is in flames?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. c w swanson, LOL, there weren't any villages close enough too pillage. Besides when we are on the water we are fairly p.p.peacef... nope.

      Delete
  4. Your adventures are all so great and I remain jealous of your fun with you dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie, Thanks, don't be jealous come join in the adventure.

      Delete
  5. Nice stringer, and hopefully there were a few fish on the supper table too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO, One of my BIL's skinned and fillet the fish for us, and we brought one home. The rest we left with them for breakfast. I had to talk fast to get Dad to agree to taking one trout home, (he doesn't like to eat fish).

      Delete
  6. I haven't been out there to see the lake yet this year. I heard they had a problem with algae in the Pit area.
    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe, The lake is beautiful this year.
      They had the houseboat and two fishing boats in a small cove on the East side of the Sacramento arm. A great spot. Got shade in the afternoon. Water was just right for swimming, and fishing. Fish were up high.
      I hope you and family get up there.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Celia, It was a good day all around.

      Delete
  8. Boats: they are nice when somebody else owns them. When you are the owner, not so much. They suck the money for maintenance, moorage, storage, etc. like nothing else. Other than an airplane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd,
      It is nice to have family/friends with those things.
      Though the Cowman & I had a little McGregor fishing boat, it was cheap to run, lic, maintain, and only had room for one grandkid at a time. Lots of good times on nearly every lake in N Calif.

      Delete
  9. Oh, what a wonderful day! Family, fun AND fishing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickenmom, It was a very good day. I'm blessed with great in-laws.

      Delete
  10. Shasta's looking great! And so does that stringer of fish. Glad you got to have that fun on the water, and glad your berserker skills are still top notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,

      It is the best I've seen it in a very long time. The fish are getting longer with each telling by Dad.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful day for you and your dad. My husband is 84. We've not spent a night away from home since 2009 and I don't think he's ventured more than 5 miles from home during that time. I'm so hoping to get in a day trip to the coast before the summer is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Hi, I hope you get your day trip to the coast. The Oregon coast is so beautiful. If there is anyway I can help to make that happen, please holler.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. LSP,
      Padre come see it. We have some glorious mountains, and some pretty darn good lakes as well as the rivers.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed your photographs of Shasta full of water. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri Block,
      Thanks, glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  14. Best vacation we had, and I can't believe it was 30 years ago, was on a rented houseboat at Lake Shasta. Our son was about 8 or 9 with his friend in tow. We told them if they wore there life vests they could just jump off the boat and play in the water. Otherwise they had to stay put until we could watch them. That house boat, if I remember was about 47 feet long. That was four very expensive days on a Cable Splicers salary. What a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Wow, 30 years ago...could be time to take the grandson on a memory maker.

      Delete