Thursday, July 7, 2016

One done...

There are days when you have to do the fixits. You can make them chores, or you can make them done.

reversed cabinet door

Dad and I had no sooner walked in the door from the Simple loop and the ice maker in the one year old frig quit. 
 
frig brain


 Read the manual, twice, pushed all the places on the touch pad, no ice. Called the service center: push the little tiny button inside the ice maker, wait 24 hours, and it will reset it's self. Waiting 24 hours for ice for Dad's ice tea when it's 110 out is no simple matter. Done. No ice.  Touched the touch pad on the front. Waited an hour and wallah, ice.
One done.

We have a two car garage. Hank has the big side cause he's big and has the kayaks for company, Rav has the smaller side. I pushed the button to open the side Rav is parked in. Clunk, clank, spit, and it stops a few feet up. A screw holding the armature from the top rail to the door had worked it's way out. Dad said it was an easy fix, get the ladder and he would do it.  Don't think so, his is strictly a supervisory position.



I flipped the switch to manual, pulled the door back down, and measured for bolt size while the supervisor was going through his vast collection of antique bolts, washers, and nuts.  Not finding the one needed, I headed off to HD. Found what I wanted, and came home to find the supervisor engrossed in a Giants game. Taking the initiative in my unsupervised hands, I drilled through the door, put the bolt with washers in and snubbed it down with the nut. Looked at it and thought, just how much damage can that armature do if it falls onto the Rav's sunroof. No Fear, flipped the switch back to auto, and pushed the damn opener button. And wallah, open and close.
One done.

20 comments:

  1. So, two down, 432 to go, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,

      You are more right than you know...lol A small cabin on the edge of a meadow is becoming more appealing by the minute.

      Delete
  2. I have a few things you could do for me while you're in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish the repair of my one year old refrigerator had gone as well as yours. Just out of warranty we paid $300 for repairs and a month later it was gone for good. And no, we had opted not to buy the extended warranty:-( Glad you got both back and know the garage door was easier with the "supervisor" watching TV. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      Well shoot, sorry to hear about your frig. I don't buy the extended warranties, either. But then I can remember the days when things lasted, and didn't die 2 minutes after the two day warranty ran out..

      Delete
  4. Good to know stuff can get done without close supervision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BW Bandy,

      lol, those were the Supervisor's exact words!

      Delete
  5. Damn! A fix-it genius writes this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,

      Not really, just too cheap to pay someone else to do stuff.

      Delete
  6. I have many of those to do here. Seems that something always breaks. Oh well that is good you can fix it yourself. It is nice to be able to do that(-: Glad Dad was there to give advice. I miss my Dad so much for all the advice whether I wanted it or not...LOL(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,

      Pretty sure our Dads would have made a pair to be reckoned with. Anytime you need to borrow Dad, to supervise, just give a holler.

      Delete
  7. No need for a bolt, Brig. The following would have done just fine: a viney maple branch jammed in the hole, a couple of cable ties, chicken wire, vinyl rope, a piece of used electrical cord, perhaps some speaker wire, I could go on but I won't.

    Of course it will look like crap, and illicit snarky comments from anyone who sees it: that's the point. Who is going to notice a nice, shiney new bolt that you replaced? Nobody.

    And you get no points for being handy. Just like a male human who washes the dishes, but nobody sees him do it? Did he actually wash them? Of course not, men don't do dishes.

    I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd,
      How the heck did you know I dug into my sacred stash of baling wire and got out the fencing pliers to fix it. The Supervisor did not approve, so a new bolt it was...

      And what do you mean no points for being handy! If one expects me to fix things, AND make decent biscuits... one is in the wrong cowcamp.

      Your case was tired before it got here. lol

      Delete
  8. Doesn't it make you just puff up when you accomplish something like the garage door? You go girl. I know I puff up when I fix something that I use to pay someone to do. I will keep that 24 ice maker fix filed away. May not work for mine but would be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,

      There is satisfaction in fixing things. But then I haven't ever been in the "pay someone else to do it" group.
      Thanks for the puffy words!

      Delete
  9. Icemakers are pretty miraculous things, but they fail a lot. Good for you! I've always done the fixit stuff, and to this day, there's nothing that makes me more flustered than a neighbor who stops by when I'm sweating up a storm on a big problem just to say: "You know, it'd be easier just to pay someone to fix that like us normal people." Arrrrhhhghghghgh! There's a special ring of hell reserved for those who insist on heckling those who are trying to do the impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,
      Most all my neighbors are pretty darn helpful, I just hate to ask as they have their own fixits. Hecklers now them I can do without.

      Delete