Sunday, July 3, 2016

Stopp'n by...

On the way North to the family reunion and the Simple loop, I asked Dad if he minded if I stopped by to have a few moments with the Cowman & Maxwell, the wonder cowdog.
"Do what you gotta do, sis," was Dad's reply.


The view is every bit as beautiful as the day we scattered their ashes.

When we got there, Dad told me to go on without him, he would stay in the car. "Take as long as you need," was his only admonition.
 With just a gentle breeze through the pines, the scent of cedar heavy in the air, and clear spring water around me, I could talk to the Cowman. It was hard to start, I needed to speak out loud, to hear the words echo across the river and over the meadow. Sure I silently talk to him every so often, but that is not in this place, here where his spirit resides. 



I'm not much of a crier, I shed no tears the day we scattered his ashes, probably because I was so angry with him for not fighting harder to live. This day I did, not with anger or sadness mind, but with the prayer that he is at peace.


 

It's a special place, a place to renew the soul, a place to look back, and a place to go forward from.
 




18 comments:

  1. Very beautiful place, Brig. Glad you were able to stop and have a chat. And I'm sure he would want you to be at peace also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      It is a beautiful place, and where he often said he wanted his ashes.
      I told our kids that when I drove his ashes up was the only time he had nothing to say about my driving...

      Delete
  2. It's a nice place to rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous looking landscape, Brig. Truly God's country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd,
      It is beautiful there. The cool clear springs feed the river, and the mountain faces West.

      Delete
  4. We all handle it differently, glad you made that peace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      We do don't we. It took me a while, but I needed to do that, for our children as well as myself.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful sight. And what a wonderful gift to the Cowman. I can't imagine anything a man needs more, than to love a woman so deeply as to be wept over when he's gone. I'm sure he's at peace, and has almost everything he needs. But you've made him a very blessed man, indeed. I'm sorry your labors are still unfinished, Brig, but I'm quite sure your sacrifices are glorious things, and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,
      Thanks for the kind words, but they are undeserved. I simply fulfilled his oft made request to have his ashes scattered there, and wished him Peace.
      In a larger sense I wanted to be able to tell our children what they needed to hear from me. That it was OK to be angry, but those days are past, and it is time to simply remember all the good times.

      Delete
  6. Looks peaceful enough. Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      It is and there is enough to share.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. NotClauswitz,

      I'm sorry to hear that.

      Delete
  8. Wow-- that is stunningly beautiful land.
    I'm not much of a crier either, but I find peace to be worthy of tears, too.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny,

      Good to hear from you. Peace and hugs to you and the littles.

      Delete
  9. Reminds me rather of the place where my father's ashes are scattered. That one's the warm side of a wood, with a nice view over a valley. Out on the limestone, and people look to have been living in and around that place for a long, long time. Mind you, people have been round these parts for nigh on half a million years; it's nice up here.

    When the time comes, I wouldn't mind ending up there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan,
      It does sound like your father is in a good place. If you don't mind my asking, where is that?


      Delete