Monday, June 27, 2016

Grins...



Today there were a few things I needed from town, one was ice cream for Dad's daily coffee milkshake. I dislike going to wally world on the best of days. But since it was 108 degrees out and possible to get the other things and the ice cream in one place, I went. I was cruising through hardware, auto, & paint looking for one item and not finding it, when a Clean Cut older gentleman (actually probably younger than me by a few years) in an associates shirt asked if he could help me.
 With a sweet grin I said, "Gosh I hope so, I'm looking for the naval jelly."
Mr. Clean Cut looked startled, backed up a step or two, pointed to another region of the store and stammered, "I I think you need to look in the pharmacy section for that." 
"Nope, don't think it will be there," said I, with a grin.
"Do you mind if I ask what it's used for." said Mr. CC.
"It's used to remove rust from metal, among other things," I said grinning.
"um, it might help if I knew what you're using it on?" he asked.
"My hitch."
"Your what?" he stammered.
"My trailer hitch,"  I answered with a grin.
Mr. Clean Cut cautiously backed down the isle and said, "IF we have something like that, it it might be in this section. Well, look at that, there is a jar of it, says naval jelly right on it!" he said with a big grin.

 

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      I wish I could better describe the look on his face, priceless!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jenny, I laughed all the way home...

      Delete
  3. Okay then, what do you use in your naval with toast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      Laughter of course.

      Delete
  4. Since it's Walmart, I'm sure that he'd heard a lot...and leaped to a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      Yep and he made it with both feet...

      Delete
  5. The youths are in big, big trouble when IT happens....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickenmom,
      I'm only on the first cuppa this am.

      Delete
  6. You should have asked the associate: "if olive oil comes from olives and peanut oil comes from peanuts, where does baby oil come from?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are girl scout cookies made from real girl scouts?

      Delete
    2. Fredd,
      He was a nice man, and I didn't want to mess with his mind to that extent.

      Delete
    3. LL,
      Nope, they are made from the devil's kitchen, and very addictive.

      Delete
  7. ROTF... You played him well! And he's obviously NOT a country boy... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Thank you kind sir.
      I seem to have lived in the country a might too long... My Sean taught me about naval jelly years & years ago, and I thought all guys knew about it. The shocker was that when I got home and was telling Dad about what happened, he said he had never heard of naval jelly either.

      Delete
  8. "Your what???" Too much fun! Coming from an auto-restoration family, I know all about that, and I'm impressed that you don't mind such gritty work. Nothing like naval jelly and steel wool on rust to make your hands smooth and clean for a night at the bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,
      I've used naval jelly for years, and my hands will attest to it...lol

      Delete