Sunday, June 5, 2016

carry on...





Morning, 
Just so you know... I'm working on cranky, I am tired, fed up, not getting enough sleep, and not getting the stuff done that needs to get done around here... So as soon as this gets posted I'm off to inflict the berserker on friends at breakfast. True friends, that will call me on it when the berserker gets out of hand.

This yard is a pain, it is a nightmare of over grown shrubs.  Now there is trouble in the trees, which are the backbone of any landscape.  I called The landscape Guru and asked him to go over the problems with me.
The sprinkler system is not functioning properly, way too many small heads, I can fix that.  Broken lines, also fixable. The best solution would be to rip out all the sprinkler lines and start over. I can't afford to do that, and seem to have misplaced my wand...
The garden Guru said he would remove the same shrubs I have been wanting to take out. Hard prune the others.  It got funny when we both pointed to a shrub and said take it out, or hard prune in unison. If nothing else it was good to know that I wasn't making too many mistakes.
We circled the yard three times, with him taking pictures to send to the arborist, as neither of us felt qualified to make the final call on some of the trees.
Three of the leyland cypress are dying, two big junipers have bit the dust (which does not break my heart), and there is die back in a cedar, and some of the redwoods, as well as stunted growth in one of the old oaks. 
oak

 He suspects the big ol oak might have SOD. The Guru said that it could have been stopped years ago, but the Cali enviros wouldn't spray when it was fixable, now it's not fixable, and California very well could lose a huge amount of its oaks. There will be repercussions on so many levels if this comes to pass.

This cedar has declined just in the last couple of months. We both think this is a residual effect of water rationing and the drought. 

cedar
The redwoods are not well either. These I would really hate to lose as they are my favorites.  They are on the north and west sides of the house providing much needed shade and shelter.

redwood
 The Guru thinks this is also the effects of drought and water rationing. We will see what the arborist says.

I knew that the Guru had given mom advice on the yard design early on. I also suspected that mom went way beyond his recommendations, and kept stuffing plants in...sigh

When we got to the end of the overview he said, "you have done a good job on a yard that is too much for one person, you know what your doing, keep at it."

PS:
I've returned from a good breakfast with friends. They were warned at the beginning that I was working on cranky and had already done a cranky blog post.  They LOL, they fed me, told me I badly needed a vacation, and that if I started to cry they would really become concerned, otherwise carry on...
 
 

30 comments:

  1. We lost a bunch of trees this spring, too. Some to beetles, some to storm damage, some to only God knows what. Thank goodness we found our young men tree pruners. I decided to have them out to prune back the lilacs. I ask you: who in their right mind plants about 75 lilacs? I must be seriously insane.

    I've replaced most of our dead trees with Mountain Ash. I got them super cheap at Henry Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      75 lilacs, yep you are seriously insane. They don't do all that well here, but up the mountain a ways they are beautiful.

      Mountain Ash is another that doesn't do well at our elevation and in the heat.

      Delete
  2. Just pull the hose out there and let the water run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      Damn I wish it was that easy.

      Delete
    2. I've got a better solution to all that ails your property, Brig: just hire a bunch of people and instruct them to make it right. And then yell at them when they fail.

      You'll see, you'll be glad you listened to brilliant Fredd.

      (NOTE: this recommendation assumes that you are made of money. Otherwise forget everything I've said)

      Delete
    3. Brilliant Fredd,
      Thank you for taking the time to consider the situation in hand.
      Sadly, I am not flush with funds, so I'm unable to follow your brilliant recommendation.

      Delete
  3. My redwood looks worse, and I can tell you that 100%, it's the drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C W Swanson,
      Sorry about your redwood. I'm hoping that the redwoods here make it, they are important to the eco system of this yard.

      Delete
  4. At my old house drought took out four lovely pines all within months of each other and drought sets up conditions for those dratted beetles. You've done an amazing job with that yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      The pines are doing well, so far, in fact the look better than they did when I moved up.
      Thanks, I have a long way to go.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you just got busier than you wanted to be... Sorry to hear you may lose the Redwoods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OLd NFO,

      I need to reorganize and make better use of my time is all. I'm really praying that the other oaks and the redwoods hang in there.

      Delete
  6. We live in Oregon and beech trees have been dying for almost a decade. Some insect I think. The drought is the biggest concern sounds like.

    For you personally it sounds like you're carrying a heavy load that isn't necessarily yours to have to carry. If I understand it, you're caring for your father. It's not your house, and a brother may want to sell the property after your father is gone? That's a depressing situation for anybody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Lots of family in Oregon. On my way to Ft Sherman for a reunion of the Cowman's family in a bit.
      Thanks, but I knew when I moved here to take care of mom & dad that it wouldn't be permanent, I know the minute dad dies my brother will be here with a for sale sign. So I'm aware and have tried to make plans accordingly. Making it my load, and it will be an adventure.

      Delete
  7. Heh! "Feed the cranky berserker." Funny labels! But I sincerely hope you get some sleep and start feeling like an enthusiastic berserker soon. Hang in there, Brig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,

      Thanks, no worries crankies are gone!

      Delete
  8. Breakfast with good friends is a great tonic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is little I hate more than losing trees in the yard. Paying for a tree just seems unnatural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Race Bannon,

      There are a few like the juniper, and pepper trees that I don't mind losing, the rest are heartbreaking to lose. Other than the redwoods, most of my trees have been transplants from mother natures nursery...
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Good friends!! So glad you have that! I have not lived long enough in this area to have great or good friends. But I do have some nice friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      Though exceedingly small in number, my good friends, have stood the test of time and distance. Truth, I can't figure out what they like about me, but I'm dang thankful they do.

      Delete
  11. Gypsy moths have wrecked havoc with our trees here. So many are damaged and probably won't recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickenmom,
      It's heartbreaking to fly over parts of the west and see the beetle damage to the forests. Especially when one knows the length of the recover time.
      That said, it is interesting to see what happened after Mt St Helens. They planted sections and left other sections to mother nature. Mother nature out did them 10 fold.

      Delete
  12. I agree. Mother Nature knows what she is doing. Sorry about your trees Brig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelly,
      Thanks, she is pretty awesome.
      I am hoping for some remedial info from the arborist.

      Delete
  13. Here in the East the drought is a news item, but not daily reality as it is for you. How hard it must be to see the big trees affected like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drought is never a pretty picture, it takes it's toll. The cycles of nature.

      Delete
  14. Like you I'm burning the candle at both ends. I can barely keep up with all of my "Have to dos". Getting here so late proves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      It's OK, better late than never. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete