Saturday, June 25, 2016

Simple is good...

We started on the Simple trip with Dad saying, "I really enjoy these trips. You're so relaxing to travel with Sis".  This as he is hanging on for dear life to the OS handle above his door.
First day, we made it to Bend, OR in good time to meet up with brother & SIL and a cousin from Portlandia. Next day, while brother took Dad to Ideeho, I was off to Sisters, OR to take part in the Cowman's family's reunion.

Cold Springs Resort, Camp Sherman, OR

Had an awesome time at the reunion, we were only missing a SIL, a nephew, a niece, and the corpsman. Fifty three of us out in the open & under canopies as it rained off and on.   On arrival there was a moment of shear terror for the kids, when they found out...there was no cell service in the area.  They soon adjusted, and only occasionally checked their phones to see if the Gods might have provided service while they weren't looking.  
 A little rain didn't dampen the spirits of our crew at all. 

half of my crew:  ccwme, Lauren, Ali, Tyler, Marymine, Colt


We went on expeditions, played washers, fly fished, cooked, ate, drank, cuddled the littles, told stories, and had huge bonfires!
After the reunion, I drove to Ontario, OR to meet up with brother and pickup Dad. Then I drove us on to Riggins, Ideeho. We spent a night there on the Salmon River, and the next morn on to Kamiah ID to visit an old friend of Dad's. 

Camas Prairie, Idaho     sunlight on rapeseed field
Here is where I told Dad that if we looped West instead of East, one of my brother-in-laws (Don) had said he would gladly meet us at their river house on the Columbia and take us fishing, if Dad would like that. It took Dad about a 1/2 second to say, "What are you waiting for, call & tell him we are on our way to the river house!" I drove another 5 hours to make that date. We spent the night with my BIL and were on the water fishing early the next morning. 
Dad fishing on the Columbia River
After a morning of fishing, we caught a bunch of bass, no salmon, we headed to my Sean's in Vancouver, WA. Spent the night in his new house, and the next morning I drove the eight hours home. Wouldn't have taken me that long but, I stopped to see Jolee at Del Rio Vineyards in Gold Hill, OR and Dad wanted to stop and see friends in Mt Shasta.

Mt Shasta, Calif.  close to home

A Simple 2,200 mile loop under our belts, and we are home.  Most importantly Dad had a great time, and says his hand is getting better after the cramping from holding on to the OS handle above his door.

 

25 comments:

  1. I hope you stopped in Lalo's in Shasta Village to get your old man snockered on Pacifico and tequila. That's what I always did with MY dad, but then, I'm a terrible example. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,
      Thanks for the referral, Dad's not a big beer drinker, but he might like that.

      Delete
    2. That is a fine looking crew, BTW! I bet you're proud of those young'uns! And that's only half of them...

      Delete
  2. A trip through God's country, no question about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd,
      It sure is, I could have easily stayed in the cool, green.
      Came home to hotter than hell, and supposed to be in the 110 range all next week.

      Delete
  3. That smile on your Dad's face is worth every mile! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickenmom,
      He was a happy fisherman!

      Delete
  4. What a wonder trip! I am glad you got to do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      It was a good trip, and I'm very thankful Dad enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. Hello fellow Paul Revere Award Winner and congratulations. My name is Sam and I run The Last Tradition blog http://www.thelasttradition.com/ and I was wondering if you’d be interested in a blog roll exchange? Check me out and if you like what you see I hope you add me to your blog roll. I’ll gladly do likewise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samuel Gonzalez,
      LOL... I didn't win an award and I'm not really into the blog roll exchange thing.
      Congrats on your award.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Such a treat for both of you. I can totally relate to your dad's hand cramp. I hate to be a passenger in a vehicle that does not have an OS handle. (What does OS stand for? Oh Shit?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      It was indeed a treat! Dad had a great time, saw a bunch of his old friends, fished, and generally ran the show.
      "Oh Shit" Handle it is.

      Delete
  7. Glad you and your dad had a great time. That's quite a long haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      Thanks, we did have a great time. Shorter trip than last summer, besides I like to drive.

      Delete
  8. Excellent adventure. Love the smile on your Dad's face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      We went through your town on the road to the river house. I would have stopped and looked you up, but Dad wanted to get to the fishing.

      Delete
    2. :-) Fishermen (and women) have their priorities!

      Delete
  9. Is there some Finn in your bloodline?
    :>) cheekbones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jon spencer,

      Not that I'm aware of, jon. Do they have berserkers?

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you need to pad that handle for Dad. So glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      What a good idea, thank you! I have a piece of hot pink pool noodle left over from caring for mom that just might work.

      Delete
    2. LOL. I'd do it just to see his reaction. :)

      Sounds like an amazing family adventure! I love that there wasn't any cell reception.

      Delete
  11. Brig,
    These pictures are outstanding! The one of the Camus Prairie should be put in a frame. The one of your father fishing is adorable. I love Sisters and have spent time there. We used to go fishing at Holiday Farms on the Mackenzie River in Oregon until it changed ownership. We'd go to Sisters to shop around and then come back and play Tokatee (sp) Golf Course. All good memories. As for me, I am so happy to be out of Europe and home. Hope all is well. The picture of you and your family is delightful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri Block,
      Thanks for the kind words. I came over a slight knoll in Camas Prairie and there the pic was. I like to raft the Mackenzie, and would love to kayak it. Sisters had changed a lot since the last time I was there. More touristy, but I did get to spend a couple hours in a favorite quilt shop.
      Glad you are home safe and sound from Europe.

      Delete