Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Simple...

It started out as a very basic plan, a simple plan. 

 Simply a rock from the home ranch, a glass disk, and a leather thong


 Eight months ago I made plans to go to a reunion of the Cowman's family in Oregon this month. My brother was coming to stay with Dad for the few days I would be gone.  Simple.
A week ago, my brother said he couldn't possibly leave his place in Ideeho for that long as they had just put in expensive landscaping and had to water it.  Less simple. 
"Just put Dad on a flight out of SMF and I'll pick him up, then you can drive over and get him after the reunion." Less and less simple. 
"No, I won't put him on a flight, he's 92, and doesn't get around that well. It's too much for him." I simply stated.

Dad said he didn't want to fly anyway, he wanted me to drive him on a little loop to see some ol friends and ol hunting grounds in Idaho, oh... and Nevada. Less simple.

So, I'm taking Dad to Oregon with me, where my brother will pick him up and take him to his place in Idaho, while I'm at the reunion.  Then I will drive over and pickup Dad to take him on his little loop.
I've had the Rav4 serviced and it's ready to go. I prefer traveling simply incognito.

who ever thought it was a good idea to have no spare tire on Rav4's was more than simple


Dad decided on the route for his little loop.
"Just a few friends to visit, and a few ol hunt'n camps to show you, Sis. Well and maybe a little fish'n too." Simple.
Here's the route:


LOL, what's a couple thousand simple miles, more or less. 
Load up Dad, we're burn'n daylight.


 

33 comments:

  1. Absolutely nothing simple going on here. Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      It will be simply awesome to get to see my son, my daughter, and the all the grand kids, save the corpsman.

      Delete
  2. Well, we just went over about 9 mountain passes in a Miata that had a flat spare, which is the same as having no spare. Luckily it was the fuel pump that got us, and not a flat tire. Have a great trip, Brig! Sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt,
      The thing is I didn't realize the Rav4 didn't have a spare til I had a sensor go bad on one of the tires. The tire guy said he would take the one out of the spare and that would save me some money. Only these Rav4's have no spare. They have run flat tires. No spare on an 4WD suv, what the H!?&#.
      I am looking forward to seeing the family, and the country.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a nice trip. Take it easy, don't push it. Rest as often as able, and make it fun for all concerned.

    It sounds as if Dad has a substantial agenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      I'm really looking forward to seeing my family, it has been too long.
      Dad's loop should be interesting as well, as I haven't seen some of that country in quite a while.
      Life is what you make of it!

      Delete
  4. There may be a possibility of a meet up in Missoula. Will you be internet connected on your travels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      That would be awesome, I am taking my lap top.

      Delete
  5. Have a marvelous trip! When your dad is not here anymore, you will have the memories of this trip. I know, I did this with my mother and reflect often on the time we spent together. Safe travels! We leave London today. I am ready to come home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri,
      Thanks, it should be a good trip. Dad makes a pretty good co-pilot, now if I could just get him to relax his death grip on the door handle.
      Safe journey HOME.

      Delete
  6. A couple of thousand road miles, and yet you were only in 4 western states. Try that out east, and you would travel through 30 states or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FREDD,
      Give me land lots of land under starry skies above...

      Delete
  7. Oh, Brig - this is going to be the bestest trip ever! Enjoy and treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickenmom,
      Thanks I'm beyond excited to see my crew, and families.

      Delete
  8. "Tho' I've belted you and flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      LOL, you are a hoot! Gawd Bless

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great trip, but you're missing me again. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      LOL... Stay locked and loaded, we will make it your way one of these days.

      Delete
  10. LOL, yep 'simple' little trip... A Yankee would be having vapors at having to drive a whole 100 miles to see everything they wanted to see... For those of us who grew up in flyover country, 1000 miles is a 'good day'... :-) Travel safe and enjoy the time with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Simple truth. We had a good time!

      Delete
  11. I'll be up in Ideeho this week while you're tooling around with your dad and visiting the kids. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      Heads up I have family in Boise. Enjoy your stay.

      Delete
  12. You are a Good, Dutiful, Daughter, no wonder you are Badger Approved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCOTTtheBADGER,
      Awe, Thanks Scott. Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
    2. Alas, everything is pollenating, and I have hay fever.

      Delete
    3. SCOTTtheBADGER,
      Hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  13. Go up to Stanley, Idaho and stay at this little motel right on the Salmon River. That was the best place on our Montana trip last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri Block,
      We changed course mid stream because... fishing!

      Delete
  14. Good Lord! That's a major road trip! You two will have a blast, I know. Good on you for taking your Dad on this memory ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Sue,
      Small loop in the West. We did have fun and got to see a lot of family, friends, and country.

      Delete