Saturday, June 11, 2016

Some day I will..

It has been a busy week. Thursday a girlfriend and I headed two counties down to watch granddaughter, Lauren show her FFA project steer at their county fair.



Loved getting to see at least a few of my grandkids, talk to old friends, kick the dirt, step over cow pies, get sprayed by the kids washing their animals in the wash rack. Sneaking in the main building to see how my corpsman grandson's photos placed.

While we were down there and close to the old bunkhouse I picked up a few things that had gotten left behind. A tea pot, some old crocks, and a banged up enamelware pitcher I had found in the dump at the home ranch long ago, treasures all.
I asked Marymine if I could pickup some meat. Didn't need much, as there is just Dad and I, but it's real beef.  
"Take all you want, mom!"  
Did you hear the angels sing, "Glory hallelujah!" I did, cause you are never going to get this type of beef or sausage in a store.
The girlfriend and I loaded up on roasts, steaks, ground beef, pepper & jalapeno beef sticks, and packs of homemade pork sausage.  I split the bounty with my friend, as she and her guy have been good to help me when I needed it.
We were good to go, except for the last piece of the load.  It came with the big house when Marymine & her husband bought that ranch. A very big, very heavy garden statue of the Virgin Mary. Since no one else seemed to want it, including the previous owners, I asked Marymine if I could have it. I wanted to take it up to her grandmother Mary's grave site in RB. It seemed a fitting place.  Well, it languished there in a corner of the yard hidden behind a lilac for years, as there never seemed to be help available to move it, or someone going my way, or... This time I had help with me, and was bound and determined to get it where I thought it should be. 
I worked it out of the flower bed, took one end, and put my girlfriend on the other, and with much huffing & puffing, we packed it a few feet, stopped to rest, packed it a few feet more, stopped to rest, and finally were almost to the open back door of my suv.  Then my girlfriend tripped over her own feet and dropped her end of the statue and was going head first into the side of the suv. Nothing for it but to drop my end and grab her and keep her from caving in her noggin. The GF saved, the large statue of the Virgin Mary, not so much. It had busted in big chunks on the concrete. My girlfriend said, "I am so sorry, I think we can glue it back together." Ah, don't think so...  "Just let it go, wasn't meant to be."  "Load up, let's get this meat home before it thaws."
Dang, my hardheaded determination to put that statue on the headstone of the mother-in-law, I dearly loved, brought about it's demise.
Some day I will find the perfect one to put there, the one that was meant to be there.  

12 comments:

  1. So sorry about the statue. But, I think you're right - it just wasn't meant to be.

    Meat? You can never have too much good meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      It was a beauty, and I know she would have approved of it...

      There is good meat around, it's just that I know where this meat is from.

      Delete
  2. Oh, so sad about the statue, good though your friend was not hurt. The thought of that good meat makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      The statue can be replaced, good friend not so much.

      This beef is hung right, which I think is a lot of the secret to really good meat. The head butcher at my father-in-law's meat locker said to let them hang til they were ready to fall off the rail and you would have the tenderest meat. He was right. Now days that seldom happens unless you butcher your own or take it to a locker were they handle it that way.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got some family time, and some good beef... The statue? As you said, it wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Thanks, I needed it more than I realized, as I don't get to see my grandkids, nor old friends nearly as much as I used to.

      Delete
  4. Good thing no one was permanently or even temporarily injured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      It was a close call, that sucker was heavy. I'm old enough that my enthusiasm shouldn't over rule my commonsense...

      Delete
  5. Glad you two are OK, but shame the menfolk into helping you next time. We're built for that stuff as long as you have a hold of our ear to guide us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Yes it is, we don't heal up as fast as we used to.
      I will take your good advice into consideration in the future.

      Delete
  6. That was a kind gesture with the statue. It's the thought and effort that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen Filthie,
      Thanks,
      I'm working on humble and kind,
      humble is a toughie...

      Delete