Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Never quit...




Living in the back of beyond has it's rewards. It is too bad that those who have never experienced it have no concept of the introspection that can come from time spent there. Plus, the place is full of characters that don't know the meaning of quit.
Take the yoga/circuit fusion class I'm in, it's full of local country folk. There is the chicken farmer (3,000+ birds), that brought his dad to class. Dad wouldn't come back, not because he's a quitter mind you, because he said our instructor was a terrorist to ask so much of an ol man, lol.  The chicken farmer now brings his mother, who is never a quitter, rehabbing from surgery.  I get a kick out of the fact that he wears his board shorts with rubber barn boots to class, and he does the training right along with all the rest of us.
There are a bunch of grannies, that come when they don't have grandkids or family to care for, and  there are a couple of ranch women that come when they can get away for a few hours. There is an orchardist that comes when time permits. Not a quitter in the bunch.
I'm not really good at circuit training, among other things, though I have plenty of try. 
Another thing I never got good at was roping. No matter how I tried, I could not get all the many tasks going in the right sequence.  The Cowman was an outstanding roper, and often invited to the brandings at other ranches.  I got to tag along and ride the gather and work on the ground crew.  When the Cowman's shoulder got too painful, from a misplaced staple, for him to rope any more, we still went and helped, because you never quit... 

(make the video full screen for best viewing)



16 comments:

  1. It's nice when you've got plenty of open space to swing a loop and a 'captive' audience, if you will... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that you lived in Redding. That's not really the "Country". If you moved to Whitmore or Shingletown (east of Redding), I'd call that the "Country". My mother lives in Redding. She might be in your yoga class. Look for the 80 year old lady who looks like a ballerina (still walks and moves that way after all these years)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry,
      Nope, never lived in Redding. On the edge of Red Bluff, still a small, country cow town, is where I am.
      Your mother sounds like a beauty.

      Delete
  3. Your yoga group sounds like one I would fit right in with. The chicken farmer did take his boots off to participate I suppose. If not, he is a talented man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti,
      The chicken farmer has gone on to taking private lessons with his mom & dad, works better with his chicken schedule...

      Delete
  4. You are totally correct. I live in a rural area as well, and there tends to be free thinkers, rebels, and characters galore. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curt,
      I'm glad you love it, I do too!
      They don't form committees, request funding, or talk it to death... they just gett'r done.

      Delete
  5. I have to say, your country people sound familiar... Now, I can ride alright (no expert but still...) but I haven't learned to rope. Must sort that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Padre,
      Pretty sure you can do this, practice, just don't tie hard & fast...

      Delete
  6. Now I know where you are, and I've been there: at least, in the neighborhood. Back in the 90s, I came back to California for a visit, and ended up in the Humboldt redwoods, the Lost Coast, Ferndale, and various uninhabited spots in between. I'd love to come back for another visit. My years in the Bay Area were great, but my tastes have changed.

    Speaking of riding and roping, lookie what I found out in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Loved the video, and love the motto. "Never quit" is right up there with "saddle your own horse."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      We are in a much different landscape here than the Lost Coast. Funny that people think of SF or SoCal as California when there is a whole lot more...
      Thanks for the metal sculpture pic, there is a bunch of metal sculptures of cowboys, dogs, horses outside Sisters, Oregon that I really enjoy seeing.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Scott,
      It's a horse effigy carving by a Hunkpapa Lakota carver, circa 1880. Pretty cool!

      Delete
  8. I love the carving. Love the telling. Cried at the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie,
      Thanks, I am glad you loved it!

      Delete