Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Horses, Dogs & Bull...


Taking a second to catch my breath after another week of daily trips up to see Dad, (He's doing well, and hopefully will be home in another week) and watching events at our annual Red Bluff Bull & Gelding Sale. 
Lots of good working dogs this year. I sorta keep an eye out for what I like in a working dog, and after watching them in the trials, my favorite was Crazy 8 Twit (bred & consigned by Mason Winebarger of Post, Oregon).  Twit ended up being the Champion high point dog, and sold for $14,500. A tad beyond my budget.  
GS Farrah, topped the sale at $20,000 the second highest amount ever paid for a dog at the sale.

Champion Crazy 8 Twit


The geldings did well.  "Walter" was the top selling horse at $39,000.  Rumor has it that "Walter" is going to a ranch in Hawaii...


I didn't get to watch the bulls sale, but I understand they all did well, too.

 
Col Rick Machado sell'n right

Much to see at the trade show, and art show. North Valley Hat Co was there, Yay!  Met some lady vendors that were a real hoot.  Lots of shared laughter.
John Growney (Growney Bros Rodeo Co) with  Kathy Branco at the Branco Ranch Furniture booth

So many friends to catch up with that I sometimes only get to see once a year.

17 comments:

  1. Wow. $20,000 for a working dog. Half as much as a prize horse. I think my Aussie Shepard would be stuck in the "Unsold" pen with the chihuahuas afterward.

    Sounds like a crazy good trip, Brig. Well done! If Walter ends up on one of the big cattle ranches on the north end of the Big Island, he might get worked on by one of my good friends there, one of the Moylan Brothers, who's a very busy farrier and cowboy. Those ranches are pretty gold-plated. I'm not surprised they could afford $39k for a horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt,
      A good working dog is priceless when you need one, besides which they can be bred. The geldings not so much...
      It was fun, but it wasn't much of a trip... the fairgrounds is only 4 miles from our house.

      Delete
  2. Great trip and a great report. I'm happy to hear that Dad will be returning home, but those nurses will miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      Thanks good times. Hoping to get Dad home sooner than later.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear he's about ready to come home! And that's a BUNCH for a working dog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,
      I need to get Dad home so we can put some weight on him, and have him supervise things.
      The best working dog we ever had was given to me as a yearling. McNabb X Border.

      Delete
  4. So glad your Dad is doing better and home in on the horizon. Glad to see dogs getting their value recognized. In Florida it was said one good dog was worth two cowmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti,
      He is losing weight, not a good thing, so want him home!
      The value of those dogs, is nearly immeasurable. And they sure can be worth a bunch of cowboys.

      Delete
  5. A champion high point dog: $14,500. A horse named Walter? $39,000. Your dad getting home in a week? Priceless.

    (I don't even know horses, and I think that horse is danged handsome.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      That's us!
      Walter is a look'r that's for sure. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Funny comment, shoreacres. Gave me a good Texan laugh.

      Delete
  6. My goodness, those prices.

    Is that the show you gave me the information about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      These are well trained working pardners, and a lot goes into that process.
      Not the same show, but now that you mention it, this one would be a good one for both of you. The quality of your craftsmanship is outstanding.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a high rollers auction. The ones I have been to...the dog food companies are bidding often. I wish I had been there with you, sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grayquill,

      Yep they don't do too bad for a rural country sale. You are always welcome to come!

      Delete
  8. Hi Brig, I'm late to the auction! Have been in AZ for two weeks in the sun...back to the Rancho, downed olive trees (8) and leaning redwoods. Rain, rain, rain but who is complaining, right? I can't believe a good dog goes for 12k and a perfectly trained gelding goes for 39k...I definitely went into the wrong business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri,
      Two weeks in the sun, what! We will have plenty of sun here in the summer, and we so need the rains to replenish the aquifers that I'm not complaining. If we could just get moonbeam & the state to build more storage!
      There is a lot of time & effort in those critters.

      Delete