Friday, February 10, 2017

The Dad Report...





Sometimes you just have to push through, and keep plugging along.
Dad has had me fairly busy taking his favorite foods, the mail, newspapers, etc, up to him, daily. He won't eat the food at rehab, says it doesn't taste good to him.  I have been concerned about his not eating, or eating very little, as he has dropped 6 lbs (he didn't have to spare) since he got there.  The staff are very good about answering my constant questions on his care and status.
 
He has had loads of cards, balloons, phone calls, and visitors.  Still he is depressed, he just wants to be home, were he totally runs the show.  But he has needed to be strong enough to come home, a vicious circle. I've met with his social services lady several times, and finally the other day told her, "He's 93, he's lived a good long life, now do what ever arrangements it takes so I can take him home, soon".  He can do PT at home, he can have home help, I can make sure he eats, and he has Willie and friends to help keep his spirits up.
  
He had an interesting table mate in the dining room. Old P38 driver from a ranching family in Arizona, that went on to keep flying and ranching in N Calif. I have adopted him, he's 94. He has great stories of ranches, and cowmen we both knew. And his flying stories are just short of unbelievable. I have given him our info and told him when he's ready for a breakout I'll come get him.
They are releasing Dad to me to bring him home tomorrow, Sat. He has really missed his home routine.
Things never go quite the way we sometimes think they should... and to stick another spoke in the mix I have come down with a whooper of a cold.  I'll get over it, but Dad can't afford to get it.  Will do my best to see that that doesn't happen, but dammit! Then I hear from the staff that Dad says he wants to go home because my cooking is the best, and that I will take good care of him.  Bless his heart that's more than a bit of a stretch on the cooking...

22 comments:

  1. When you reach the 90's, that home routine becomes priceless. And from the sounds of it, the cooking ain't bad, neither.

    (unlike my Aunt Sally, on whose pie crust one could chip a tooth)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he is going home and hope your cold gets better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Institutional cooking is never good. Prison food/hospital food/G.I beans and G.I gravy, etc. I'm sure that the poker nights at the hospital leave a lot to be desired too. As soon as he gets back under your roof, I'm sure that Dad will perk up (will sneak Willie food) and things will get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he will do much better at home. Some good home cooking will put some meat back on his bones and perk him up mentally. Prayers for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home is always best especially when you are with the best cook in the world:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for home! I do hope you're feeling better, and understand your concern about transferring your cold. On the other hand, one upside of getting your Dad back to the place he loves is that it may help his immune system as much as anything.

    Routine is strengthening, too -- not to mention the feeling of being at least a little bit in control. I hope the day's smooth and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No place like home, Just do lots of handwashing and it will help on his not getting the cold. Probably though he'd rather get it at home than be in rehab where he could also

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He'll do better at home because he'll be happier in the familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing exactly the right thing. Start boiling that chcken!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chicken soup, STAT... And I'm betting he'll perk up once he's home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, good for you. Take care of your cold and I'm sure you know nursing homes at notable for colds and flu spreading like wildfire. He be so much happier. Take care of yourself too, please.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My father died at the age of 53. Count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad he is home with you and hope your cold takes a hike. Make that soup for two. I know his table mate will miss him and am glad you gave him your info.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you get over your cold super fast so you can bring your Dad home. I bet he will start getting his strength back much more quickly once he can have some good home cooked food to eat and his own bed to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay-- happy to hear he is home again! Hospitals are lousy. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. feeling in control of his environment, even in the smallest things, will give him a pick-me-up that will make his day. nothing like the familiar surroundings of home to give him comfort. take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please get better soon! Take your vitamin C, too. Wise bringing Dad home - he'll feel better with is beloved you to take care of him. Hive him a big hug from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank You all for your kind words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope he got home safely and is enjoying a first day back to normal life. I hated going to see my parents at the rehab too. They just wanted to go home. Sad they never got to.)-: Your dad is lucky. Enjoy the time with him. I hope you feel better too. That cold thing is a nasty one this year. We have all had it.

    ReplyDelete