Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Buttercup days...


I am finally over my cold, but tired beyond knowing, and my get up and go seems to have left the corrals. Time to Suck it up Buttercup!

Dad was doing well at home, and then last Wed got some bug. High temp, oxygen low, white count high... so the home health nurse and I shipped him to St E's.  After spending eight hours with him in the ER, with blood draws, x-rays, IV's etc. they got him turned around, and stable enough to take to the regular floor.  He was there til Sat. when I brought him home. They never did figure out what was causing the problem.  He's on antibiotics for a few more days, and the home health nurse checked on him yesterday and was pleased with his progress. I quit giving him all the meds they sent home with him from rehab, which I think caused some of this. The home health nurse agrees with me, so now he just has antibiotic, aspirin, & oxygen. Will take him to his VA doc next week for a checkup.
He is a bit bull headed and tried to get to the bathroom by himself the other early am, and ended up on the floor. No harm done, but I could not get him back in bed by myself so had to call the fire dept.  They lifted him with ease, and we got him settled back in bed.
He is back on his computer spreading cheer and wreaking havoc with his women friends, so he's feeling a little better.
I, on the other hand, seriously need to Suck it Up Buttercup...




22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. SCOTT,
      Thanks, I'm not so sure about that, but work'n on it.

      Delete
  2. You done good. Praying for you both anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      Thank you for the prayers,they are much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. well, take care of you through this as often the caregivers get sick with draining all their energy. I hope you have some backup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain,
      Trying to pace myself, and I do have some backup.

      Delete
  4. Thoughts and prayers... Glad you got things straightened out, and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Thanks, keep those thoughts and prayers coming!

      Delete
  5. "He is a bit bull headed" you say? LOL Now we know where you get it. So hoping all will go well. Loving thoughts to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      LOL, yep that might be were I get it from! Thank you for the kind thoughts.

      Delete
  6. It's tough to be worn out as you clearly are and do for Dad. But you're a trooper, Brig. Well done. Now get some zzzz's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      Better today after some sunshine, fresh air, and a nap!

      Delete
  7. It cannot be easy. I am impressed by all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BW BAndy,
      Thanks for the kind words, but there are many out there doing much more than I.

      Delete
  8. Ouch but so glad you are both better. How rough to be sick and yet still have to be the caregiver. Hope things are much better for you both now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,
      Thanks, yes things are a little better now, amazing what some sunshine, fresh air, and sleep will do for ones outlook...

      Delete
  9. It's true -- buttercups are tough little flowers. Come snow, come ice, come wind, come torrent of rain, they just keep blooming. It's in their nature. You may feel like your bloom is a little ragged, a little faded, but it's still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shoreacres,
      Ah Thank You! I was just feeling a bit over extended, but it was Dad's poker night here last night, and when I came home from book club, and asked who the big winner was... one of the guys got up, gave me a hug, and said, You are, because anyone as gorgeous as you are deserves to be the winner! Wow, made my evening!

      Delete
    2. You deserve that hug and response EVERY night, Brig!!! You really do.

      I don't know how it started, but somehow I got in the habit of replying to my little niece, "What's up, buttercup?" every time she called for me.

      She's two and in the habit of throwing fits now, so I do find it fitting to transform that saying to "suck it up, buttercup!!" That needs a good try... :)

      Delete
  10. Take care of yourself too, that's the hardest thing sometimes. Glad your dad is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn Tanaka,
      That is true, and sometimes we forget how important that is. I went to book club mtg last night and with fantastic food, good wine, wild stories, and lots of laughter it hit the mark.

      Delete
  11. True Grit bloodline...it's what settled this land.

    ReplyDelete