Monday, November 6, 2017

Sightings...



Some days are better than others, been sicker than a wormy ol cow for the past week. A side effect of the high powered antibiotics that where making sure I didn't get an infection from the Angel debacle's deep cuts.  
When Doc put me on the antibiotics, his nurse kept asking me what meds I was on. I told Doc's nurse I don't take any medications, and seldom even aspirin.  "Oh wait, I do take vitamins, does that count"... got me a heavy sigh. I guess when you reach this age you are supposed to be on a bunch of stuff for assorted age related maladies. No thanks.
Early this morning, via phone Doc sent me to the lab to pickup a test kit. His nurse said, "what lab do you want the orders sent to?" 
"I don't have a lab, can you suggest one?" 
"Aah, When was the last time you had any labs done?"  
"Can you look on my chart, because I'm not sure?"  Which earned me a "OMG, it's been four years and that was just a wellness checkup". "You should be having yearly labs."
"Why, if I'm not sick!"  earned me another heavy sigh.

Usually I try to be presentable when going into town, wasn't happening early this morning. Decided to throw on what ever came to hand and get down to the lab and back home as quick as possible. Who was going to see me at that early hour on a Monday morning anyway.
Out the door I headed in a black & white stripped Tee shirt under a red & black buffalo plaid flannel shirt, leggings and tall black Uggs. Hair was combed, sorta, and a dash of lipstick added to blend with the rosey glow of a low grade fever. Picked up the test kit, and decide since I was in town to pickup another case of Pedialyte and more yogurt. Feeling crapper by the minute, but who was going to see me.  
No sooner got in the door of the grocery store and I ran into one of my neighbors. She usually hugs me, not today, can't say as I blame her.  Escaped after the report on her family's doings, and got some of the stuff I wanted.  Ok, one sighting by one neighbor isn't too bad!
 Turned down an isle and saw a friend at the other end of the isle, but before she could spot me I about faced and headed in another direction. Hah, close but no cigar! 
Wheeled around another corner and ran smack dab into my next door neighbor, well hell! She looked me up and down and I know she was about to say "You look like hell, " but thought better of it.  She said it had been so quiet at my house, she had thought I was gone somewhere. "Nope just trying to survive a little sickness from the antibiotics", I said. She noticed the survival rations in my cart and said she was making home made chicken soup and would bring me some. Bless her heart. Then, told me I needed to be home in bed sucking on a bottle of fluids because I looked a sight.   
Sigh...

30 comments:

  1. Chicken soup can cure a great deal. Just keep it coming and drink water as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      I've eaten so much chicken soup at this point that I'm starting to cluck...

      Delete
  2. I am sorry that you are struggling with this healing issue. However, I am deeply jealous of your overall good health. My parents never took medicine and rarely aspirin and lived very long lives. My siblings are the same. I have a list of meds that would choke a horse and a list of doctors and labs the same. Damn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      Oh dang, I wish you didn't have to take all that, and realize how lucky I am to just have a few bumps in the road.

      Delete
  3. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but the ol' "who's going to see me?" business gets us every time. The good news is it garnered you some chicken soup, which truly does seem to have curative qualities. I'm sorry for the continued ill health, but happy for the update. Have an extra dose of that chicken soup and see what it does for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shoreacres,
      Go ahead and laugh, I sure did. Should have known, it does happen every time. Trying to go incognito in a small town never works.

      Delete
  4. Antibiotics can really do a number on you. I had the same experience when I was sick during the summer. It was the antibiotics. Yuck)-: Sorry you are feeling so bad. I agree with the doctor visits. Why go if not feeling sick? I hate all those tests they do. then you do feel sick. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      Sounds like you have been down the same road for sure. It sure has put a crimp in some of my plans, I just have to revise, revise, revise. Sorta like when the GPS starts saying recalculating, recalculating. lol

      Delete
  5. Jewish penicillin (aka chicken soup) is a must although I have read that bone broth is even better. As Shoreacres notes above whenever we don't want to see people they appear like bad relatives to the reading of a will.

    I disagree about not having lab tests because one is feeling OK. Preventative medicine is the way to go. Why not nip something early instead of waiting for a silent killer to get you?

    Perhaps this point of view comes because some of my relatives are in the medical professions.

    I have recently been taking a supplement called Vital Proteins (on Amazon) Several of my doc friends and pharmacy friends have been taking this powder in a cup of coffee each morning. Odorless and tasteless, it is beef hide collagen that helps skin, hair, joints, and bones. After taking it for 3 months (and fracturing/displacing bone in my little toe), I went to the doctor after 4 weeks for an xray. He was amazed that the bone had already knitted back together....just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri,
      I have a couple friends that swear by bone broth, and it's benefits.
      You are probably right about lab tests, I just keep forgetting to have them done. There are some in the medical field in my extended family as well. I tend to think that some labs are way over requested.
      I'll check into the supplement. Wonderful that it has helped with your fracture. If it will help me in even one of the ways you mention that would be a plus. Thanks for the thought.

      Delete
  6. Hoping you feel better soon. Take it easy, eat the chicken soup, and read a good book. You'll be better in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      Thanks, it has been nice to catch up on my large queue of books waiting to be read.
      I really want to have linguini in meat sauce, with antipasto salad & crusty bread... but that isn't happening for a while. Dang.

      Delete
  7. Hope you get well, soon!

    Doctors want to know everything now days because they never know what might cause a problem. Meds, vitamins - what kind, how many. Supplements? Homeopathy? And they want to know every visit.
    Labs every year, too. Just in case. My doctor has been tracking my thyroid for the last few years; but the thyroid doc isn't worried, so I'm not either.

    Take care and enjoy the chicken soup. Jewish penicillin, my Granny used to tell me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG,
      Good to hear you've got your act together, and have good labs.
      Thyroid can be a real trial to stay on top of according to a couple friends.
      You're the second one to call chicken soup, Jewish penicillin. I've never heard it called that before, lol.

      Delete
  8. When I'm sick, my main focus is on staying hydrated. Drink a lot of fluids to keep flushing your system. Yeah, chicken soup too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbar Cat,
      I've had so many fluids this go round that I slosh when I walk.
      And chicken soup til I cluck. lol

      Delete
  9. So sorry you are still struggling and hope this will all be behind you soon. Know what you mean about running into people when you aren't your best. I can have been in the yard working, need something and make the quick run. Always run into folks wanting a hug. Where are they when I am all clean and spiffied up? Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,
      Thanks, I'll get past this bump soon I hope.
      LOL You're right when I've actually spent time getting spiffed up, I don't see a soul.

      Delete
  10. Get well Lady. You should become a man when you venture out sick like that. Everyone expects us to look disheveled. Hell I was wearing gray camo pants and a blue and yellow plaid shirt yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Trying sir.
      Actually I expect men to do better, left over from the days of my father inlaw, & the Cowman. They were always pretty sharp dressers.
      Thanks for the visual, lol.

      Delete
  11. Hope you are better soon. It never fails that we meet someone we know the one time we are sure we won't.

    I'm on some meds for high bp, statins, and now one for the tremors... My doctor told me if I didn't go in to see him by three years some of the insurance companies would cancel my coverage. Ach! I had made it back in two and had the labs, which were mostly reassuring that no high blood sugar and the meds were working as supposed to. If I was thin and exercised regularly, that'd probably not be an issue. I am not and don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain Trueax,
      Yes, it happens every time, and yet I never seem to learn.
      Good to hear your meds are doing what they are supposed to. I know I'm darn fortunate to not have to take those things. (knock on wood).
      If I was thin and exercised more, countles times have I said the very same thing over the years, LOL.

      Delete
  12. Count your blessings. Some days I think I could drop dead and it would be a month before anyone notices I am gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BW Bandy,
      I do, every day.
      Have faith, we would for sure notice if you weren't around. Friends look out for friends.

      Delete
  13. Get well soon! And DO get checked yearly... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Trying sir!
      I DO need to budget for the cost of yearly checkups, and there in lies the rub...

      Delete
  14. Sorry you've got the plague. Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      LOL, me too.
      Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  15. Admire your resistance to medications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Seasoned Fool,
      Everybody is different. I learned early on that I did better by letting my country immune system do it's job. Kinda an eat dirt and live attitude. The downside to that is that when I do need outside help, ie antibiotics, they can throw me for a loop.

      Delete