Monday, May 4, 2009

Death & Taxes

It is with a great deal of sadness that I post this missive. There have been three, yes I said 3, deaths in our family during the past week.
 Now it may not be of concern to others but to us it is heart breaking. 

First to go was the guy that we depend on to provide air movement in the house, Cecil ceiling fan. After a thorough autopsy, we still don't know what was the cause of his demise. He was so young. While we were still reeling from his passing, the heart of Fred the freezer flat lined. He was elderly, and had a good long life, but still it was hard to see him go. Having shed all our thawed tears, we sat down at the picnic table in the backyard to make all the arrangements. Just then with a small burp, a low rumble, and a big belch of smoke Walter water heater told us that we had to shut off his gas supply and extinguish his flame. He was history. 
We have combined the services for those who have to travel to attend. Those wishing to contribute to the memorial fund set up in their honor can send them to cowcamp c/o Brighid. Donations are not tax deductible as cowcamp is not considered a non-profit. We will be appealing our status, sure looks non-profit from here.

14 comments:

  1. My father always said that problems and particularly deaths come in 'threes'!

    Thankfully it is all behind you now.

    Hugs & sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathies to you and your family. Our own dear Winnie Washer suffered a major haemorrhage over the weekend and we are hoping beyond hope that she will stay with us a little longer. Things do not look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like Mary Tyler Moore laughing at Chuckles funeral. I shouldn't be but then you shouldn't be so darn funny.
    With as straight a face as i can muster,"I am so sorry for your loss."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. Last year when Wally the Washer went belly up, Matty the Mattress decided she too needed to be replaced. I began to tiptoe by the Freezer in hopes nothing was contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized that everything in my house is brand new...guess it will all go at the same time in the coming years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ARGH! I completely fell for it; I was so upset. Now I'm laughing at your post AND me.

    I hear you, on the non-profit business. The paycheck-less life holds the best and worst of making a living. Here's hoping it all gets better soon--Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Condolences for your losses, hope your the household budget isn't terminal too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Desmond the dishwasher threw the towel in, I just kicked him and it seemed to give him a new lease on life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything n my house is kind of newish. That means everything will start to break down around the same time. Woe is me and where will I get the pennies to pay for it? I guess I better start saving now. Please accept my condolences for your losses. I hope you are able to replace them soon and painlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sincerest condolences, Brighid. They say the first year is the most difficult. And holidays can be very emotional, like Independence Day when Fred is not around to offer his extra space for all of the celebratory food. And when the daytime temperature rises to intolerable levels your grief will also rise, thinking of Cecil and how he used to comfort you in such times. But methinks you are a survivor Brighid and somehow you'll get through this.

    I hope you can carve out some time to grieve your losses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your notes of condolence for our recent losses. They are a source of comfort to me.
    I have an emergency fund set aside that is just for this type of thing, so our regular budget is not overly impacted.
    I had not realized how many of us name our little every day helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear lordy this was a riot. Thanks for stopping by Aunt Debbi's Garden. If you want seeds send me a mailing address to
    debskidsandflowers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds as if the three appliances which recently died would agree with Rose White!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there-- it's been a while since you posted, and so I'm just wondering when the mourning period for appliances officially ends? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete