Friday, August 28, 2009

I'm waiting...

My mother-in-love was a wonderful lady. She had so many interesting adventures. Like raising seven children, being a rancher's wife, a nurse, a talented crafter, a mother-in-love and much more.
There was the time she went on a rigorous mountain hiking trip with three of her best friends. As they went along the ridge top they admired the view, and listened to the gurgle of the stream far below. Chatting and gossiping like a happy flock of crows on they trekked. After some distance they decide to take a break and sat down to have a cool drink from their canteens. Each in turn took a big swig, and gasping, swallowed. It was then they discovered, not a one of them had brought water. Each and everyone of them had filled her canteen with vodka.
Then there was the time she was concerned about a friend drinking and driving so she chained the friend's car to one of the trees beside her house. As time went by that evening we kind of forgot about the chained car. When the friend left we heard this terrible thunk, screech! Upon rushing to the windows we viewed the friend making a great effort to leave, repeatedly she took a run at leaving with her car hitting the end of that chain, thunk, tires spinning, screech, thunk, screech.
There was the time I had a bad chest cold. Being the nurse she was she took charge. Slathered stuff on my chest, threw a towel over it, and told me to get some rest. She would take care of everything. When the burning sensation started I screamed, she rushed in and said it would be fine, then lifted the towel. "Oh My God" she said, "I've burned your chest." I healed but never again did I get her famous mustard plaster.
There was the time on the houseboat at the lake, there was the time at the cattleman's dinner, there was the time at the home ranch BBQ, there were a lot of times.
So when her final mass had been said, and we had all gathered out front to await her final journey, it was fitting that my slip would fall to the ground at my feet in front of half the town and all the family. Stepping out of the slip, and stuffing it in my purse, I started to laugh. She could always do me one better, I'm waiting.

22 comments:

  1. She sounds like quite a character, always independent-minded even if it led to some unfortunate consequences. It seems to me you've inherited some of that fiery independence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick, I'm honored that you think that.
    She always said I was her favorite daughter-in-law, come to think of it the others were never around when she said that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that lady was a book wanting to be written. She gave you love with a smile on it.
    Always wondered about a mustard plaster--I don't wonder anymore.
    My mother-in-law used to say the same about me but then I was her "only" daughter-in-law. I missed her the most in the divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti, I will remember the phrase: "Love with a smile on it". Thanks. And do stay away from the mustard plasters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a mother in law like that and I think you've been very fortunate. You must have felt well loved. Good for you! We should all be that lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, She was a very special lady. I still catch myself going to the phone to give her a call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, thank you! My mother-in-law was a remarkable woman too. She had a Ph.D. in biochemistry (unusual for a woman born in 1909) and was a brilliant woman. She never worked but raised four children and was active in trying to improve her community.

    Unfortunately she didn't like either of her two daughter-in-laws much. She was polite but mostly wanted us to keep out of the way when we went to visit. I didn't take it personally and still liked her. It pays to have a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheerful: I'm glad you were so understanding of Your MIL. Not sure that I wouldn't have rocked the boat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely tribute, it sounds like you loved her very much.

    Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renee: Thank you, I did and I always will. I keep her close, right here in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankfully 'Love with a Smile' stays with us in our souls. I never knew my MIL, Jack's parents were both dead when we met and he had no siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating post. You MIL was certainly good fodder for posting. You are certainly lucky to have known such a character. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grannymar: Your Jack was a bit of each of them, so in a way you did get to know them. And from what you've written he did them proud.
    Tabor: Thanks, I did feel honored to be able to call her My MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think she rubbed off on you....I bet she was laughing hard when that slip hit the ground...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beverly, If my children & grands even think I'm half the woman she was, I'll be happy. At the moment I'm supposed to be studying for a test in med terminology. Can just hear her: drink a stiff toddy, get a b-12 shot and you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a knack for storytelling, no doubt.

    Some folks trump us, no matter what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should write some more with her as the subject, these memories are valuable and don't deserve to be kept inside one persons head !

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a beautiful way to call one's mother in law. First time I am coming across that. What a character! It is people like that that make the world a good place to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How blessed you are to have had such a wonderful person in your life. I too was blessed with a wonderful MIL,she was my "mom", my best friend and she was at my side for all the joys (birth of my children) accomplishments, and sorrows (she held my mother's hand when I couldn't at her final moment)that life gave me. My ex MIL had four sons. We were so close and she always told me that God did bless her with a daughter, me. After I divorced her son, we still stayed as close as we ever were. Sadly she has suffered memory loss. My children and I moved from California to Idaho so that I can take care of her. I do this because I know with all my heart, that if the situation were reversed, she would be by my side. She no longer sees me as her daughter, nor my children as her grandkids, I'm just the nice lady with the sweet sons that come by daily to visit her. It breaks my heart, but I cherish the memories of the vibrant, loving, caring, beautiful women I knew as "mom".
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  20. Toni, We both have been blessed in a special way, Thanks for sharing.
    I'm off to Ideeho next week to visit my brother & his family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Mother in Law sounds like a truly wonderful lady. You created a very nice tribute of her. I chuckled at the part of her chaining the car to the tree.

    Thank you for stopping by the blog today. I hope you liked your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bill, Thank you for the kind words. I always enjoy my visits to your blog, even if I don't always comment.
    Geez Bill if your an old fart, I must have passed.

    ReplyDelete