Thursday, May 19, 2011

Traveling Light

Since The divorce I've been winnowing thru my stuff.   Files that I've no idea why I kept. Pictures have been sorted, and the twelve million duplicates and the picture of a rock are now residing in a landfill.  I brought with me a few pieces of furniture that have a long and sorted past. The press back chairs are from a ranch wife in the wilds of Nevada via my mother and father's hunting trips.  The round oak table wandered into my care from a neighbor's barn sale, as did the pie safe. The old white chippy cabinet with the blue interior was left on the curb when a store closed, down the street from where I worked. Stuffed that sucker in the back of the ol SUV and away I went. And yes I did find a free sign on it.  A painting or two, a pot, a fry pan and a box of rocks, pretty much covers it.


 In days gone by himself would back the gooseneck up to the house, and tell me to have it packed and ready to go by the time the cattle where finished being loaded.  I got pretty good at packing and traveling light.  We moved so much that I guess it stuck. 
I like this lightness of being. 

8 comments:

  1. Some years ago I decided it was time for a clear-out. I only kept the items I would take if moving half way round the world.

    Unfortunately the clear spaces have filled again, so thank you for the timely reminder to start sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tend to collect so much junk and we fear throwing it away, because we feel it will erase some part of us or our memories. It feels good to me to simplify...but I am starting to collect again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A timely reminder to start the process again. Over forty years of domestic bliss and ten transfers of residence, we have collected stuff that needs to be got rid of. Normally, I am ruthless and while I have stopped collecting new junk except for books, there is a lot of old stuff that can be junked and I shall do it now during the monsoon.

    Having been a traveling salesman during my working life, traveling light comes easily to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work Brighid. I am busily redistributing my grandmother's goodies out among the grandgirls who are old enough for them, and labeling the rest for the others. That little woman sure did love costume jewelry. Need a home for about a 100 little hankies, there's only so many dolly blankets you can make out of them. A lot if not most of my furniture is adopted, free, or whatever, love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a real problem with doing away with anything having to do with memories: old ribbons, rocks, feathers, and apparently dust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MARCIA, I kept my feather collection and that box of rocks, especially the heart rocks that the grandkids & I are collecting. Gave all the ribbons & etc to the kids when they married. The memories are with me still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gooseneck? That's a new one on me. I gather it's a trailer with a coupling shaped like a goose's neck....

    Yep, I keep trying to clear unnecessary stuff out of the house but somehow it keeps accumulating again. A bit like bailing out a leaky boat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NICK, Yep, it's a stock trailer with a nose hitch shaped like a goose's head.

    ReplyDelete