Monday, August 10, 2015

Shotguns, Snakes, & Bull...


When I took the Elders on their lunch date, the restaurant manager waited on them. He kept looking at me like he knew me, and I kept staring back... thinking I knew who he was.  My dad said to him, "She lived on the SV ranch for a time." 
 


His face lit up, and he gave me a big hug. "Mrs M, I thought that was you!"  
He turned to the Elders and proceeded to tell them that he had come out to the ranch, as a kid, to hunt with my son, Sean. He said he would never forget it.  It was the only ranch house he had ever been in that was spotlessly clean and had a shovel, and a shotgun beside every door. I don't know about the spotlessly clean, but yes, there was a shovel and a shotgun beside every exterior door.
"They killed 30 rattlesnakes, in their yard the last summer they lived there!" he told the Elders.  Which is a bit of an exaggeration, it was closer to 27. We did have a bit of a snake problem, and a wild hog problem, and an elk problem, and a bunch of Brahma bull problems.

the bull in  No Bull
  


the bull on the lefts favorite trick was to run at a powder river gate, jump on the center of it, effectively Ving it and keep on going..






There were bits of heaven along with the problems. The ranch didn't have electricity, or a house for us to live in, so the absentee owner let me design the house. He never batted an eye when I spec'd exposed aggregate floors in the kitchen and living room, or the wood stove and gas refrigerator from Sweden, or the cantilevered den. I got the chance to build a house, it doesn't matter that I never owned it.

  
We had some good times on that ranch. So what if you had to bathe in the spring fed horse trough when the generator quit you.

10 comments:

  1. I would have thought that the rifles and shovels were for trespassers...calling them snakes makes it see so much more respectable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good time had by all ... except for the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a neat looking house with solar panels and all. It had to have been impressive for that young man to remember so well. You left a positive impression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LL: ssshhh... We didn't have any trespassers, too far out in the country.

    WOODSTERMAN: It was a good time.

    ARKANSAS PATTI: LOL the solar panels were the owners idea, for hot water. Which didn't work real well as the only time we ran the generator (that pumped the water thru the panels) was an hour late evening and an hour early morning...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many acres, and what backhoe...LOL Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trespassers are snakes! That's a bit bigger than my "ranch" bungalow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. snakes, hogs, elk, and bulls! oh my!
    I love this story. :) You're a heroine to many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OLD NFO: Well yes there is that... and Thank You!

    NOTCLAUSWITZ: You could name your spread: Almosta Ranch

    JENNY: Thank You. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a road around here called Almosta Road, and the dump (excuse me, "transfer station") is on Throwita Way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NOTCLAUSWITZ: LOL, up near my brother's old place in Ideeho the dump was called "the mall on the mountain" so many went to shop there...

    ReplyDelete