Monday, March 28, 2016

Big loop'n...

 Took Dad for an airing out car ride the other day. We made a big loop to the West towards the Atwood Ranch, and saw some of my favorite country. Dad enjoyed getting to see some new (to him) country.
Atwood Ranch's photo.
Atwood Ranch pic
 It's the perfect time of year to be in the rolling hills with everything so green, the creeks running, and the huge old oaks budding out in the draws. You could hear the grass growing. Redbuds were in full bloom in some of the creek bottoms. Dad was on the look out for deer, but we didn't see any game except for one wild turkey and a covey of Gambels. Lots of cows and calves were about. Saw one of the most even herds of Angus cows I have ever seen in a commercial operation. 
I stopped in one draw to repair a piece of fence that was down. Dad asked if I knew who's place it was. No, but the cows inside it were eating their way to that gap in the fence. It only took a few minutes to repair, and we were back on our way.
 
Dad is getting less and less able to get around, thankfully his mind is sharp as ever.  He amazes me with his memories of hunting camps in the back of beyond, and flying machines from eighty years ago. He can look at an unmarked map and tell you where he got a buck, or where the best fishing creek was.
I'm going to try to road trip him to Idaho to see my brother this spring. Just waiting for the weather to be a little more stable. 






23 comments:

  1. IDAHO???? IDAHO?????? Ya'll need to visit with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, If it were just me I would, you are only another 6.5 hrs N.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry about your Dad's decline. This happens to all of us and I can understand how much you love him. You are lucky that his mind is still sharp! That makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, I am thankful that he is still hustl'n the babes, and able to enjoy life.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great road trip with your Dad. Those memories are precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, Something unexpected seems to happen each time we venture forth, keeps it interesting.

      Delete
  4. It's always useful to have bailing wire in the back of the car/truck because you never know what you need to fix. I'm happy that Dad can still get out and enjoy the beautiful country that you live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL, one would think I would outgrow the habit of packing bailing wire...
      He had a good day, and enjoyed my stories of riding the hills.

      Delete
  5. Great memories for you and your Dad. Thanks for fixing that fence! I am sure the rancher appreciates it too(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindee, I'm sure you would have done the same!

      Delete
  6. This post is lovely. Your description and the specific words and examples you choose to share evokes the tenderness you feel at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri, Thanks for the kind words, coming from you that is huge!

      Delete
  7. Sorry, I should have said "evoke" because the subject is plural...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love taking my Dad for some airing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, We know the importance of airing out, whether its a rug, a colt, or Dad!

      Delete
  9. You are such a good daughter to take your dad for such a great ride and how neighborly of you to repair the fence. You saved that rancher a bit of grief. That picture of the horses just made me smile. What beautiful animals horses are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, Thanks, truth be told I needed it just as much as Dad. As for the fence, it is just cow country courtesy to do so!
      Hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
  10. That should be an interesting trip, and cow country folks WILL stop and fix a fence, it's the neighborly thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NFO, With Dad along it's always interesting.
      We were taught early on to leave gates as you find them, and fix fence.

      Delete
  11. The weather is really green-glorious and inspiring up-country. I pity the poor cityfolk who always wander through asphalt and concrete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NotClauswitz,
      I don't pity city folk, and hope to heck they stay there. When they move to the country they always try to turn it into the same place they left...
      We have had beautiful days this week! The views of green rolling hills, Shasta, Lassen, and Trinity Alps have been spectacular.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for that, I especially liked the "flying machines from 80 years ago." And well done, repairing that fence!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how long it's been since I drove just to be sightseeing. You got this city boy with "Gambels" too.

    ReplyDelete