Sunday, March 6, 2016

Rounding Up...


We have had much needed rain and not needed high winds.  Thankfully most of the oak trees have not fully leafed out yet.


Between storms, a couple friends and I have been chain saw massacring trees that were dying and/or overtaking the garden. Couldn't believe what the tree guys wanted to charge to do this. Friends settled for a steak dinner, and a few stiff drinks to sooth our sore muscles.
The knees are healed up, with just another set of scars to show for my lack of forethought.
Dad is healing up nicely from his radiation, and his voice is getting better every day. He now has a headset for his long phone convos with WWW. One of my BIL's has been taking him fishing, so he's a happy camper.
I've managed to upset the status quo at book club. The last book was not interesting or well written in my humble opinion. When it came my turn to give my synopsis of the book, I told them what I thought.  OMG, the stunned faces. So I told them, don't ask me what I think if you don't want to hear my honest answer.  I'm still in the group, but for how long...?
My shooting mentor is leaving for a month of hunting in Africa. Seems like he and his wife just got back from a summer spent in Alaska, hunting, fishing, and flying. I love their stories and pictures.
Range buddies had another hanger built, and the latest goodies are out of the paint shop. They are wonderful, honest, super hardworking people that make a difference in a lot of lives...

T showing her brother the new paint jobs.




My granddaughter Lauren is working with this years show calves. Won't be long til fair time.


 And LOL, I contacted Flash (remember when I had a BF last fall) about a balm recipe. He is doing well, and since he was so in love with me and totally devastated (his words) by my decision to have us go our separate ways. He's gotten engaged!  Guess I wasn't all that devastating after all... 

22 comments:

  1. I've thought of joining a book club, but then I come to my senses. Do I really want to sit around with a bunch of old ladies having pseudo intelligent talk about a book.

    We still have to have our tree guys out. Our favorite guy will probably take care of all the carnage, chop it up into usable pieces, haul off the rest for a couple hundred bucks. We're blessed!

    That helicopter is gorgeous. I love helicopters and plan to finally have a ride in one this summer (hopefully.)

    Good looking steer.

    What happened to your knees??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, I have enjoyed book club til now, and it may work out, or not.
      We cut down, limbed, cut up, and hauled off four trees. I was pretty darn sore the next day.
      I love helicopters too, and riding in them is the best. We used to gather cattle with one.
      The knee story is back in the "it will be fine..." post.


      Delete
  2. It sounds as if life is going along in a normal and natural way, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need some tree work here. A lot of dead branches.
    Super nice helo and plane.
    BF moved on rather quickly.(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindee,
      All of the bids I got around here were 500 and up. My friends offered to help me for dinner, couldn't pass that up.
      BF LOL...Rather!

      Delete
  4. I have never belonged to a book club but "kind of" wanted to. I think if is one of the we all love this book things then it is not my cup of tea Maybe they did not realize you were full frontal. I hope it works out. I also hope your friends who are going to Africa are going to enjoy the wildlife and not necessarily shoot it. Unless you eat it. I think you dodged a big bullet with the boyfriend. YOu are not needy and should not be with someone that needy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      They know I'm occasionally all out, unrestrained, which I think is what you meant by full frontal.
      My friend going to Africa is a going to hunt, he will be providing much needed income as well as food for African families.
      I think you are right about the ex boyfriend.

      Delete
  5. You be careful with that chain saw young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odie, Yes sir, I mostly leave the big stuff to the guys.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the pic of the spare parts in formation... It'll start leaking after the first flight and NEVER stop (unless it runs out of fluids)... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO, LOL, I just love flying in them...
      They operate a lot of them, and know what they are doing. Wish I could show you a pic of their shop hanger, it is a beauty, packed with an assortment of helos and so darn clean one could eat off the floor.

      Delete
    2. You're so right about the leakage. Speaking of that, the wife and I were out on a date the other night at Centennial Airport near Denver and saw a couple of V-22 Ospreys doing maneuvers together overhead. It was a thing of beauty, but I actually winced a little as they flew over, because I know how notoriously leaky those things are! I figure we got some hydraulic fluid on us!

      Delete
  7. After our recent clean-up I know my next tool-buy is gonna be one of those chainsaws-on-a-stick. It can get up into places that a ladder will only kill you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NotClauswitz, A pole chainsaw is on my list as well. I need to do some research on which brands holdup best. For now a new file for the little chainsaw chain is in the works.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the round up and sorry about "Flash" -- you obviously dodged a potential bullet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LSP, I'm learning to pay attention to those niggling little bits of knowledge or intuition...

      Delete
  9. Hey Brighid, I'm just curious. What was the book you disliked?

    I found myself in a similar situation Saturday night. We were at UNC for a production of the Rock Opera "Tommy" from the group "The Who", and everybody gushed about how wonderful it was. My oldest son was in it, so we had to "like" it a little. But when somebody asked me what I thought, I said that I hated every minute of it. Shocked faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt, The book was Barbarian Days, A Surfing Life by William Finnegan.
      For me it is not easy to be the odd one out, but I have to be honest. I defiantly could use some work on how I'm honest, as I'm sure some of the gasps where from my choice of words to describe the book. Honesty with grace...sigh

      Delete
  10. Don't let the book club snobs get ahold of you. They, like most liberals, only want to have their own opinions validated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      No worries, I can hold my own with that bunch.

      Delete