Saturday, August 20, 2016

Looks like...





I have been trying, ever since the old power wagon carcass was parked next to the bunkhouse, to get Colt to fix it up. He had it given to him by a neighboring farmer, but he says it would take too much money and time. I think time is the biggest hold up, he flat out works that kid, and when he isn't working on the family farming operations, he's helping friends & neighbors with their operations.

Cody, Colt, Marymine, Ali

Had a great lunch with Marymine and three of the grandkids at Sierra Nevada Brewery to celebrate my birthday. Lauren couldn't come as it was the first day of school for her. 
Son, Sean and his crew had all ready messaged the heck out of me with birthday wishes from Vancouver.

Lunch with part of my crew & getting the details of what everyone has been doing was the best present. Cody starts community college soon to pickup some classes before heading off to med school. Colt is farming with his dad, Ali is working full time for a big chem company, and Marymine is juggling the whole shebang.

 As we were finishing hugging goodbye I patted the awesome cowcatcher that Colt made for his big Dodge Ram, and said "I think Hank needs one of these."  
"Who is Hank?" Colt asked. 
"My pickup," I said,  and out the pics came, like any proud granny would show...  Colt listened as I told the story of Hank, then grabbed me in his famous bear hug, and said, "Nanny, you got a shotgun for your birthday, and you drive a pickup, you are The Coolest granny ever." 

Meanwhile, back at the home, Dad got bored and decided to carve a mallard in the stock of what was supposedly my old Ithaca 12ga. Guess he decided that it was his again, since I was getting a R 870 boomstick for my birthday
 "Are you sure you want to do this, it has really nice mallards engraved on the receiver already?"
"Yep,  go out to the shop and get me this list of stuff, I'm going to do it on the kitchen table. I have a pattern I got off my computer."
"OK, what brought this on?"
"When I was up at your brother's he showed me the beautiful stock carvings some guy did on his best shotgun."
"Ah, that explains it!"

When he was done he looked at it, looked at me, looked at it... and said, "looks like shit doesn't it, sis!"



"Ah, it has character Dad, and it's one of a kind that's for sure!"
Dad laughed and said, "Yep, looks like shit!" 

      

24 comments:

  1. It is so neat to read about all of these places you go that I have been to. Happy Birthday again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman, You & the little woman need to come up and see Dad and I. Thanks for the BD wishes, again.

      Delete
  2. Colt is right, it's a time, and then money issue, and as we know, time is money!

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cw swanson, He is, but it's sad to see it just sit there. Thank You for the Happy birthday!

      Delete
  3. How much does he want for the old Power Wagon? Does it run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL, As soon as Colt gets back to me, I will certainly forward the info.

      Delete
  4. I like the carving. Now have him sign it. An artist always signs his stuff. We have some old fossil trucks like that here on the ranch too. Glad you got to have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe, Yes, I did ask him to sign it, he declined. Every ranch I ever lived on had a bone yard, lots of treasures if one but looks. Thanks for the BD comment.

      Delete
  5. There is nothing better than having a birthday so you can catch up with the kids and grandkids. They will show for special occasions even if it is by test message. I had a "Hank" when Ron died. It was a big dump truck for hauling rocks on our property. A neighbor borrowed it and then the neighbor did not return it and he died. His property was in foreclosure and could not get my truck back. Thankfully it was not hugely valuable and would have cost more than it was worth to reclaim it. Title you say? Well since it was very old and just for our property, the title was never changed. Original owner had his money from us and didn't' care. Oh well, TMI. Sorry. Happy Birthday again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie, No need to be sorry. I enjoy those kinds of histories of our every day lives. Thank You again.

      Delete
  6. From the looks of it, that Power Wagon hasn't run since the Nixon administration. Time and money is all it needs, the bones look solid. Lots of money, BTW, and considerable time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd, You are most likely right. I hope it finds a home with someone who can bring it to life again.

      Delete
  7. "Nanny, you got a shotgun for your birthday, and you drive a pickup, you are The Coolest granny ever."

    This is the highest praise anyone could give you. You lead a blessed life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides, It is high praise indeed, and I cherish the blessings.

      Delete
  8. Well phooey, I missed your birthday while my computer was sick. I'd wish you a belated Happy Birthday but your family all ready guaranteed that you had a great one. Being called "the coolest granny ever," ranks up there with some of the best gifts ever. I do like your Dad's carving for it was done by his hand, making it a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti, No worries, the gift of my grandkids is the best of all. Dad is still grousing about his craftsmanship... he'll get over it.

      Delete
  9. Those Torsen differentials that Powerwagons used are about unbreakable. Massively overbuilt. Even if it has not moved in years, more than likely they have been sitting in gear-oil waiting to be put to work.
    One of the reasons that the Torsen's went out of favor was that it took several more machining steps and a few more parts to make. And parts and steps cost. You can still get them, but you have to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jon spencer, Tis my aim to learn something new everyday, and I did today because of your comment, thank you.

      Delete
  10. Ah yes, family... LOL And ALL that entails! Love the old Power Wagons, that's what I learned to drive in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO, and it entails a lot... Wow, I am impressed, I learned to drive on a John Deere tractor...LOL

      Delete
    2. My uncle wouldn't let me NEAR the old one lung John Deere...LOL

      Delete
    3. My uncle wouldn't let me NEAR the old one lung John Deere...LOL

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, Brig.
    What a beautiful family.
    Your legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri Block, Thank You for the birthday wishes.
      I am just a little bit proud of them all. They are my life.

      Delete