Sunday, August 28, 2016

Signs of the times...

Stearman Pt-17 Kaydets flying over Red Bluff



Though a small country town we have our share of thieves, druggies, and ne'er-do-wells Actually a higher percentage than the average small town, because this is the county seat.
Most of my neighbors have those little warning signs for security companies that will alert someone (too far away to save you or your stuff) stuck around their yards
 



Most of them have realized this is money down the drain, and cancelled the security company services long ago.  They have left the signs and window stickers out as a hopeful deterrent. 
Now, there are enough ol Marines, retired & active duty LEO's around this end of town to keep most of the baddies away.  That said, on our end of the neighborhood I'm surrounded by techies, retired techies, a doctor, a couple professors, a government pencil pusher, and one bat crazy retired government psychiatrist. They believe in their little signs.  They believe their little signs will save them, and I hope that is true.  So, in the name of esprit de corps and with Dad's permission I have posted signs around our property. 




    

21 comments:

  1. The sign and the your attack dog in combination would frighten away even the most ardent and resourceful thief...unless you're talking tax collector. The IRS has tanks and fifty billion rounds of ammo now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      The local tax collector and I have come to an understanding of sorts. I don't owe those mountebanks in the IRS a cent, and I aim to keep it that way.

      Delete
  2. The only thing that protects someone is being alert and attentive to what is happening around them...and unfortunately, even that is no guarantee. I have little to steal, so don't worry too much about locked doors and certainly do nothing about alarms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, It is indeed wise to be situationally aware, and good to have a means of defense.
      When I lived out on the ranches, I never had to worry about someone coming to do harm or steal, (though we always had defensive plans in place).
      Sadly those worry free days are gone, because of all the cartel growers, tweakers, and assorted low life.

      Delete
  3. Love it!!! Also, strange you posted the Stearmans. Two Stearmans were doing acrobatics and trailing smoke over Centennial airport just down the road yesterday! At first I though they were missile tracks, and Barack had finally got us into war with China. Man, I gotta switch to de-caf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,
      Wonderful that you got to see the Stearman. Always wanted to go up in a Stearman. I have been up in a Travel Air 4000, which was a hoot from the get-go.
      Congrats on the newest grand!

      Delete
  4. That is a great sign. I am not anxious to advertise my high speed wireless:-) I have surveillance cameras all around my home and two dogs. Hoping that will help protect me. I do know that the cameras have kept me from losing another mailbox. The kids still drive by and knock down the neighbor's boxes but have avoided mine since I put up the cameras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      Sounds like your cameras are helping, though I would want some form of defense.
      I could almost pity the stupid that decides to mess with me and mine, almost.

      Delete
  5. Ya know if I were an enterprising young thief, I'd pass you by. You made a good point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,
      Passing us by would be the wisest.

      Delete
  6. That shotgun should help. Have you ever thought about bear traps under the windows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Yep, that is part of why I got it.
      No bear traps here, have you seen one of those suckers? I would rather shoot than trap, I've seen what those traps can do, and it isn't pretty.

      Delete
  7. I want one of those signs! Fantastic!
    The photo of the yard with all the security companies' logos is a riot.
    Miss my Rotties...with them, I didn't need ADT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri Block,
      Glad you like the sign. The neighbors aren't saying much so far...
      I bet you do miss your Rotties.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. LSP,
      Yep, I like the wireless part...

      Delete