Monday, August 22, 2016

Stories...

photo via CWS


Everybody has a story, and I seem to be one of those people they want to tell it to.  It sometimes starts out quite simply because of my curiosity, a question asked, and the story just pours out.  At times they are sad, most times they are funny, or a happy memory.
They seem to feel drawn to tell me things that are meaningful to them. It has been this way for as far back as I can remember, my curiosity, their story.
Now this may seem trivial, and it is, but what started out as my wee bit of rebellion from the same hair style as a lot of other women, has become my little experiment. 
I wear my hair in a long bob. Have for years, it works with my lack of desire to do much with it. There are a lot of ladies with the same style, a lot.  Last fall I decided to take one small piece high on the side, twist it tightly, and flat iron it. It stays tightly twisted without any band or clip.


The interesting thing to me, is all the stories that have been told to me because of that twisted piece of hair. If my smile isn't bright enough to get them started the twisty hair is. And it isn't just women, Dad noticed and he likes it. His comment turned into a bow hunting story! My grown nephews, this summer at the family reunion, gave me hugs, held me back a bit, and said "how the heck did you do that auntie, it's cool!" Followed by a story about a girl friend or wife. 
Women my age have walked up to me in a store, and said "that twist of hair is great, what keeps it like that?" and as I start to tell them how... out comes their story. 
Today, as a nurse and I were helping Dad into the lift to take him down to the room for a CAT scan, the nurse turned to me and said "that is one perky piece of hair, I love it." And out came a story that she continued til we reached the room. Where she hugged me and with a big smile said, "you and that perky piece of hair have a great day!"
Does this happen to you?  Have you been told great stories because of something about you?

18 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...the fantastic results of curiosity...were that more people were curious! ( hint...hint...turn off the television).
    I love your twisty and since I wear my hair as you do, I'm going to try it.
    Your ending question is a good one; I will ponder it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri Block,
      I don't watch television, other than the occasional Giants game with Dad.
      I await your findings on your twisty.

      Delete
  2. Did I tell you the one about the ballet slippers and the tutu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Nope, and I think you should... with photos...

      Delete
  3. Something about me...not that I can remember. But I do get told a lot of stories, often by asking people something about themselves. People do love to talk about themselves, I've noticed. I like that twisty bit of hair, btw! If I tried it I'd probably burn it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Sue,
      You are a consummate story teller, would enjoy seeing you do one of your presentations.
      LOL, I was a bit hesitate at first to try the hot iron twisty for the same reason. Then decided what the heck, it's just hair...

      Delete
  4. You smile and people and they respond to your real interest in them... Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Thank you sir. FYI I have started warning guys carrying about the hugging. Don't want to shock the crap out of them, like I did you.

      Delete
  5. The only stories I get start with "a rabbi, a priest and an immam walk into a bar..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd,
      Ah come on, I know you can do better...

      Delete
  6. The story's I get are usually because I won't give pain meds to patients.....

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous Steve,
      Worked nights in ER admitting for a while, so I've heard more than a few pain med stories...

      Delete
  7. Love your hair twisty. People tell me their life stories too, I am clueless as to why but it's interesting. Amazing what people will tell a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia,
      Thanks. Yep, we must have a sympathetic, it goes no further than me, vibe...

      Delete
  8. Dang, now I am sorry I don't have long enough hair to twist. I think it is cool. I do get a lot of confessions partially because I have a quick smile, am a bit of an interviewer which shows interest, and know when to listen. I think you have all that in spades plus that twisty thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,
      The twisty is fun. No doubt in my mind you would be told great stories for the very reasons you listed.

      Delete
  9. I wear wigs and will now look for one with a perky braid on it. I like attention too. Of course I could go without my wig and that would get some attention and lots of stories:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      I have a girlfriend who frequently wears hair pieces... the last time we went to a roping (I hadn't seen her in quite sometime) she had her hair braided out the back of a ball cap. I tugged on the braid when we were teasing each other about some story. OMG, off came the braid and the ball cap as one, leaving a small mashed down mess. At first we were both a bit stunned, then the laughing started. I have not tugged on her "hair" since.

      Delete