Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Comfortably...

It's a Wednesday, late night, chores are done, and worries put away. 
I have just finished rereading a favorite of mine...


"This letter from Ernest Hemingway to Maxwell Perkins in 1942 sums up the book better than I ever could:

"Did you read Beryl Markham's book, West with the Night? I knew her fairly well in Africa and never would have suspected that she could and would put pen to paper except to write in her flyer's log book. As it is, she has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pig pen. But [she] can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves writers. The only parts of it that I know about personally, on account of having been there at the time and heard the other people's stories, are absolutely true . . . I wish you would get it and read it because it is really a bloody wonderful book."--Ernest Hemingway

Hemingway almost NEVER sang the praises of other writers, especially not his contemporaries. As result, his acclaim for Markham's work can be seen as high praise indeed." ~ Ian





Pretending to be in the back of beyond: I can have a bonfire, wrap up in an ol blanket, close my eyes, listen to the night, and revisit another favorite...






17 comments:

  1. Those nights when you can read, listen, and reflect are sometimes the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      They are and necessary for the soul to heal from all the slings and arrows of life. Peace be with you...

      Delete
  2. I envy your night. Must find the book WEST OF THE NIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      It is the story of an amazing woman. Let me know what you think when you finish reading it,

      Delete
  3. Awesome. Markham's story was originally part of the Clive Cussler tale made into the movie: "Sahara." Most of it was cut out, but the plane stayed in. Actually a very fun movie. But I still need to read the book. Both books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt,
      I hope you get to read Beryl Markham's "West with the Night."
      Cussler doesn't hold a candle to Markham's classic memoir of Africa, aviation, and adventure.
      I would be interested in knowing what you think after you have read her book.

      Delete
    2. Well, ok, but maybe I shouldn't have read her friend's memoirs first. The Baroness Karen Blixen's experience with Beryl in BEA make her life overview seem a little... mixed. But definitely fascinating. I'll read the book.

      Delete
  4. I have a nice fire going on this rainy day, but I'm curled up with the computer rather than a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Glad to hear you have a warm fire!
      Dad's house has a gas fake fireplace, not the same at all.
      Not much beats a wood stove or fireplace or bonfire to butt up too or sit by.

      Delete
  5. David Gilmour is new to me. Wow, that man can really PLAY. Loved Hemingway's description. I will try to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,
      Think the Best of Pink Floyd. You might like https://youtu.be/3j8mr-gcgoI as well.
      Please let me know if you read the book.

      Delete
  6. She was a helluva flyer too! And Gilmour is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      She was a helluva a woman, period! I have had friends read her book and they don't get it, I guess because they were raised in the city. Have you read the book? I would enjoy your thoughts on it.
      I have had "Comfortably Numb" on my phone for years, it seems... along with "Wish you were Here"

      Delete
  7. Well, shoot. I added you to my WordPress "follow" list, but just discovered I haven't been getting emails of new posts because WP, in their wisdom, doesn't provide emails for Blogger bloggers. Humph. You're in my WP reader, but I almost never check that think. I tend to depend on RSS feeds or email notification.

    Is there any chance you have an email subscription link hidden around somewhere I haven't found, or a way to subscribe by RSS? If not, I'll try and be more attentive to the reader, or even start leaving a tab open.

    All of this seems important to me because you clearly are a woman of good taste. I have "West With the Night" on my Bio page as one of my favorite books of all time. In fact, the first two paragraphs of Chapter 15, "Birth of a Life," so closely paralleled my experience as a beginning sailor that they made it into my sailing journal. I still read them, especially this: "I learned what every dreaming child needs to know -- that no horizon is so far that you cannot get above it or beyond it. These I learned at once. But most things came harder."

    OK. Now I'll try to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be, "I almost never check that thing."

      Delete
    2. I'm so pleased that "West With the Night" is one of your favorites too.
      I added a RSS feed near the top of my blog. Sure hope that solves your feed problem. Oh, and thanks for coming by.

      Delete
    3. Yep, that did it. I'm all signed up -- it worked perfectly.

      Delete