Monday, October 31, 2016

Well Hell...

 It has gotten to be funny around here how far my taste is beyond my humble budget.  I like simple. Less is more type deco. Though I try not to change too much around here as this is Dad's house. 
While searching for a rug like the one below, in a (so my style) simple Montana guest cabin bedroom...
 
Montana Headwaters camp cabin
 that turned out to be the award winning work of Architect Daniel Turvey...  

Montana Headwaters camp cabin, near Yellowstone, Montana

I ran across an app that would tell me where a photo was taken/from. 


Having wondered for sometime where the cabin in my header was, because I like that porch, and had envisioned many tales of who's and where it was.  Granted one of the blankets kept tickling in the back of my mind, but the connection would not be made. Now I know, it's the Blue Pony guest cabin, on Ralph Lauren's Double RL Ranch near Ridgway, CO. Well hell!
A little disappointing that, but at least I get to see the photos and dream, which is much cheaper any way.
On a search for garden art, I stumbled onto a piece that I liked, it was simple, spoke to the modern, and the ancient, and had a touch of the shaman about it.  I could picture it at the entrance to a drive, or at the edge of a rock patio over looking a canyon...


It is a sculpture by Bill Worrell, that Texas guy. I love this piece, but... $63,000! Well Hell.  I need to learn how to weld...


14 comments:

  1. I've been on Lauren's ranch just south and west from Ridgeway (near where John Wayne filmed True Grit). It's a beautiful spot on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is youtube video of it when Oprah visited him on the ranch. Way too much on the deco for me, but the country, as you say, was incredibly beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I go up into that area at least once a year simply because I love it. The winters are brutal, but summers make it some of the most picturesque country in America - or the world for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me pics next time you go, so I can see it, Please.

      Delete
  3. Sooo... You're saying you're like me, Champagne tastes, beer budget... Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yep though my budget doesn't even stretch to the good beer...

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, a millionaire's art sense on a beer budget. There needs to be a website called Shabby Western rather than Shabby Chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      LOL, there probably already is a Shabby Western! I just can't handle having lots of knicky-knacky things, said she with the Box of Rocks...

      Delete
  5. LL's right. The area around Ridgway, Ouray and Telluride is glorious. Seems like Ridgway has changed over the last decade, though. Previously, it was hunting cabins and desolation. When Gruntessa and I went through on the way to have some drinks with LL in Telluride a few months ago, it seemed much more gentrified. Lots more high-end homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt,
      I found the same to be true when I drove Dad to S Dakota last summer. Once beautiful ranch lands cutup into small parcels with huge homes that are only lived in for a week or so a year. I understand the draw to sell, but it saddens me to see those places broken up, their sense of community and history often lost in the process.

      Delete
  6. Pretty sure you could knock out a piece like that with a few courses and 62,950 dollars cheaper:))
    I do love that cabin--mentioned it before. That is what I think when I dream of a cabin. On the water, logs, a horse and a view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,
      I'm sure mine wouldn't be as artistic as his... My daughter and I have been talking about taking welding classes for a while now. We just never seem to get the time.
      Actually, I have come to like the Montana headwaters cabin much more than RL's Colorado one.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like night school for you. Most offer welding classes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woodsterman,
    They don't offer it around here! But down the road I just might be able to get my youngest grandson (the best welder I know) to teach me how.

    ReplyDelete