Monday, October 3, 2016

Sunday breakfast...





It has become a ritual for a few friends and I to go out to Sunday breakfast. When we started, mother was still alive, Dad was still able to watch over her for short periods of time, and I desperately needed those few hours away. With mother gone, and Dad less able, I have been taking Dad with me. He enjoys my friends, and getting out for something besides the usual appointments.
After mass I come back home, pick him up, and we head out to wherever the group is gathering. The airport cafe is usually his favorite as he is likely to run into a few cronies, and see some cool planes. Last Sunday the friends were out of town, so it was just Dad and I. 
As we started out to the airport, I told him the KOC were having their pancake breakfast at the parish hall just down the street.  I get a couple blocks past the parish hall and Dad says " Oh hell, might as well give the money to the church, where it will do some good. Let's go to the parish hall breakfast."  I have taken Dad to KOC pancake breakfasts before.  The food was plentiful and good, the price was more than reasonable, and the guys were very helpful, so he knew what to expect.  
Dad thinks of himself as an atheist, so anytime he's willing to give to church projects I keep my mouth shut, mostly.
We get there, pay up, and I stuff our tickets in the wine drawing jar. Get Dad seated, and ask him what he wants to drink. "I'll have coffee and orange juice, please, Sis."  
Off I go to find the beverage cart, it has two identical jugs of orange juice, and two of coffee. I hold up the one that seems like regular coffee, and one of the guys nods, yes.  Serve our coffee, and go back for the orange juice. As I'm pouring our glasses full I smell booze, laugh, and tell Dad, "Wow, they've started serving Mimosas!"  
One of the KOC fellas takes me aside and says, "One pitcher is Mimosas, but the fellow that made them forgot to mark it, so we don't know which is which!"  No worries! (I know which pitcher is the Mimosas.)
Dad tries it, not sure he likes it, and gives me his glass, sending me back with another glass for regular orange juice for him.   
When we have eaten our fill of the delicious fare, I go back for another Mimosa. (I still know which pitcher is the Mimosas, though I have observed some of the KOC fellas doing a lot of taste testing). 
I ask Dad if he is sure he doesn't want one, "seeings how he's not on the church's radar, and we are close enough to crawl home from the parish hall". 

"Did they know what they were getting when they accepted you?" he asked with a glint in his eye. 
"Of course, why I remember my MIL Mary telling Father Dillon there would be interesting times ahead and I was going to be his ticket to heaven."


27 comments:

  1. It's thoughtful for the Knights to have Mimosas available to cure some of the parishioners who needed it. Stuffing your stomach with pancakes also works, but not with the panache that hair of the dog does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL, It was extremely thoughtful of them, and I will write a note of thanks...

      Delete
  2. Got to find a recipe for mimosas. Lovely wee story. I don't know how you do it but, once again, I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelly,
      I have a bunch of Mimosas recipes, none of which are as good as the ones that Kelly's mother makes. I have no idea what is in her's, but they require a designated driver.

      Delete
  3. I am definitely in the wrong denomination:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      LOL, think of all the good you could do right there, with a few wee changes...

      Delete
  4. Man I might go back to church! Times have surely changed :) Love this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Sue,
      Thanks, glad you liked it. I have so enjoyed your posts on your travels.

      Delete
  5. Growing up in a Methodist church I most certainly never got Mimosas at whatever was held in the basement. Lots of kool-aid though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      Oh my, be very careful about drinking the kool-aid...

      Delete
  6. A very sweet story, Brig. Thanks

    I haven't had a mimosa in eons. Might have to have one next Sunday. I tend to gravitate to the well done Bloody Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      I have occasionally gone for a good Bloody Mary.
      The old Buena Vista in SF used to have the best Irish Coffees and Bloody Marys.

      Delete
  7. Shoot, if my church had served Mimosas for breakfast I'd have been a regular back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti,
      They only do this once a month, so you have a fair number of dry Sundays in between.

      Delete
  8. I agree with LL. Good call, KOC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LSP,
      Excellent call, KOC!
      Padre, Thank you for the prayers(Sean), no real answers yet, a month out til neurologist. Please keep him on you list.

      Delete
  9. See what you started with the mimosa talk? :) As a 3rd order knight on hiatus due to work, you conjure up some wonderful memories. If your old man is wise, he'll learn from you, Brig. I have a feeling he already has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GruntOfMonteCristo,

      I get a great kick out of watching the KOC fellas, and I could see where you would make an excellent one.

      Delete
  10. We had mimosas on Sunday too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NotClauswitz,

      Way to cowboy up!

      Delete
  11. Never had the brew, but I have to go to church to find it, it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Actually You don't, word on the trail is that the best bottomless Mimosias in your neck of the woods, are at the "Squeeze In" 10060 Donner Pass Rd

      Delete
    2. I had to check out that "Squeeze In" recommendation! Too bad it's on the Hwy 80 corridor, it's so crowded up there and full of BayAryans... But they're on Hwy 50 too! Dammit. :-)

      Delete