Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Coming in Hot..




  
My youngest granddaughter, Miss B, (who has CP) has a new ride! Thanks to the generosity of family and friends, and the expertise of Recumbent PDX, in Portland. My Sean said that thing really hauls and that she has crashed once already, from coming in too Hot. She and the bike are fine. She should get many years of good use out of it. Yay, Miss B!

Dad and Ol Ugly are on the road to Ideeho to go Salmon fishing with my brother.  Buzz and his wife drove down to pick them up Tuesday.  Hopefully, Dad will catch some salmon from Ol Ugly, and have a great Thanksgiving with that part of the family. 
I told Dad it might be wise to have the local padre up there bless that damn boat, before they put in, just to be on the safe side.
This is the first time I have not had Dad around other than a day or two in the last three years.  Willie and I  miss that ol coot already. No one needing this or that or ringing his Donger* for his daily coffee milkshake. It is feeling strange.

 *Donger (a cowbell with a handle)

  
 made by this Ideeho nephew.


In other news:

 I've renewed my CCW permit for another two years. That means I took the classes, got recertified, got interviewed by the detective, and paid all the outrageous class, city and state fees.  I agree with the necessity of vetting, I don't agree with the frequency, or the cost.

 My granddaughter Ali has invited me to be part of the party when she picks out her wedding dress this week. I am really looking forward to seeing the girls and taking part.

A cousin and I are going to hit the range for some trap time, as we both have new boomsticks.  He has moved back to Cali from Texas to take care of his dad.

I have been in Warrior Granny Yoga, with the other ol ladies, for a while now. And just the other day at the end of a long grueling circuit session, one lady (retired school teacher) laughingly said to me... "you are like the second grader that needs to be seated right next to the teacher, because she never knows what you are going to do next!"  I will take that as a  compliment to my enthusiasm for life, and coming in Hot...

   

25 comments:

  1. Fun to read this post, Brig! Wonderful technology for your granddaughter and good for your brother to come down and take Dad up for Thanksgiving. Good luck to him salmon fishing. We are still gorging on salmon from the Judge's Alaskan fishing trip in August. Just had the olive harvest...very fun but very tiring. Not sure if we will press everything ourselves next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri,
      Miss B is smart as a whip and a good kid,she has been through a lot, and has more than earned this with her perseverance to overcome.
      Rancho OlivO private label is awesome! Wishing you and the Judge many more successful presses.

      Delete
  2. You have had a full week and with Dad gone salmon fishing, there may be some time left for you to get into mischief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      I know, mischief has been my middle name for too long now, it needs to move up.

      Delete
  3. Recumbos are awesome. Tried to build one once, but never finished. Good for her! i'd tell you to stay out of mischief, but I don't think that's gonna happen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt,
      She uses it to get to and from school, and it is a big plus.
      So far I have stayed on the straight and narrow... but early days...

      Delete
  4. loved reading about your family happenings .
    good venture for your grand daughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granddaughter must get her sense of adventure and her bravery from her grandmother. Poor old me keeps coming in cold and slow:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      LOL, cold and slow has a place in the scheme of things, hang tough.

      Delete
  6. That is one beautiful recumbent bike. That will provide her with much needed exercise and fun.

    I'll say a little prayer for good fishing, Brig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      She is a very bright and kind girl, love her to pieces.
      Dad & Buzz are planning on river time on the Clearwater out of Orofino. Could you make that a big prayer, Dad doesn't have a lot of these trips left. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. If you find yourself in need of additional broomsticks, one has now come on the market suddenly: "Broomstick One," as the secret service detail assigned to Hillary Clinton called her campaign jet, a 14 year old Boeing 737.

    Just keeping my eye out for you, Brig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd, you old kidder. She was talking about new "boomsticks," not "broomsticks." This is why Brig needs to put an "Illinois filter" on her comment box. ;)

      Delete
    2. Grunt: as Homer Simpson would say, 'doh!' I misread the boomstick as broomstick. Now I look like a complete idiot. Don't tell Brig, OK? She actually listens to me, this might goof that up. Mum's the word, Grunt.

      Delete
    3. I'll keep it on the down-low, Fredd, but there's no need. Brig knows you were just being sly. And that was a good point about Broomstick One. Still, I don't think they'll ever get the smell of failure and old gin out of that thing.

      Delete
  8. What a fun post to read. I'm thrilled for your granddaughter -- that looks like one fun ride. There's a fellow here who regularly rides a recumbent over our big bridge, and he scoots right along.

    Your new boomstick reminds me of a story a friend swears is true. I'm not sure I believe her, but I hope it's true. She started buying seconds and thirds from the local Homer Laughlin factory -- Fiestaware -- and using them as sporting clays. I can't remember which size plate, now. She said they were more expensive than the normal clay (a lot more expensive, I'll bet) but that every now and then it was just fun to send that saucer or dessert plate flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shoreacres,
      Oh No, not the Fiestaware! But then she could do some interesting mosaics with the pieces.
      I have started a small collection and use them daily. Such wonderful memories of it as a kid up at Granny's Tahoe cabin.
      Nothing quite tastes as good as fresh caught trout, & pancakes on one of those colorful plates, with a bowl of fresh sliced peaches & milk in a Fiesta bowl...

      Delete
  9. Like Annie, I think your granddaughter fell pretty close to the tree. What a cool looking bike and hope she has a blast with it.
    Sounds like you have a lot of fun adventures coming up. Hope your dad has a great trip and you get him back home soon.
    Thank you for explaining what a "Donger" is:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Patti,
      LOL, she is a bit like her Granny...
      Dad called yesterday to say that they had made it to Buzz's and they saw a lot of deer on the way. There are bunches of elk around brother's so Dad will get to see them as well.

      Delete
  10. That's great news about the trike! And you finally get a little down time, that's not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      She is loving the additional mobility. There are so many things that need to be taken care of around here, I'm not sure how much real down time there will be, keeping my fingers crossed though!

      Delete
  11. That is a very nice trike. I hope she doesn't come in so hot that she pulls out the hook, and they have to put up the barrier. HAPPY THANKSGIVING, you are one of the things to give thanks for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCOTT,
      Hi, I will pass on the flight deck info to her.
      A Happy Thanksgiving to you, and thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  12. That recumbent looks awesome, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete