Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Hazards aplenty...

Dad flew home from his successful trout fishing adventure in Ideeho, Monday. 
Just down the hill from my brother's house, is a nice golf course, that no one seems to play. 
 

I asked Dad if he played the course while he was there, "No, I was there to fish. Besides, there are always herds of elk on it."
Dad was an avid golfer til a couple years ago when his legs started to fail him.  He has tried a couple of times since I moved up, but it is really not that doable, as he can't stand unaided, much less swing. I have tried holding him up, but he really can't swing like he wants to, and his balance is thrown off.
Yesterday he said, "Let's go play nine holes tomorrow. We can rent a cart." 
Tomorrow became today. The weather was cold, but there was a clear blue sky, and we are ringed on three sides by snow covered Mt Shasta, Mt Lassen, & Yolla Bolly. A beautiful day to be outside.
We went to the nine hole course on the edge of town. 
  
I got a cart, loaded up our golf bags, and a corona with lime wedge for me (Dad didn't want anything). Stuck the score card on the steering wheel and away we went. It was mid week, we have had rain daily until today, so there was only a couple other people on the course.
First hole, I talked Dad into going first, he barely made it to the tee, using both drivers as walking sticks, and my holding him steady.  He teed up, took a couple practice swings, and then swung, only driving the ball a short distance. He started to fall from his momentum and I grabbed him to keep him from going down. He promptly elbowed me in the nose. He said he was done, this wasn't going to work, but he really wanted me to play, and he would coach from the cart.  I felt so sorry for him, it has to be terribly frustrating to mentally be so sharp, and physically not able to do the things he used to do with ease.
I played four more holes, and then we ran out of daylight.
Dad's a good coach, and my game got a little better with his tutoring. I did miraculously manage to find the water hazards a couple of times. 



I walked the course while Dad drove the (beer) cart. By the time I finished my beer I had gotten my driver under control, and the walking was great.
On the way home I realized, for all the years mom and Dad played nearly every course on the west coast, they never asked me to play with them. Most likely because I was busy working, pushing cows, riding horses, and raising kids.
The things I like best about golf: you are outside, on green grass, and usually near water.
Dad says we are going to start golfing weekly. Now he's a crafty ol cuss, so there are undoubtedly hazards aplenty...

27 comments:

  1. It's better if you have a point of aim, like an elk. It motivates a clean shot without a slice.

    I did that on a course next to the Colorado River once -- aimed at passing boats with a bucket of range balls. I'm not much of a golfer unless I have that sort of motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I need a target to aim at, that's for sure. Mostly I aim for the closest guy all decked out in his pro shop gear. So far no hits. Damn.

      Delete
  2. Been playing golf for over 40 years, never broke 100. I hit an honest 106 once, boy I was on fire that day.

    Of course, playing only once or twice a year, how good can I ever expect to get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I shot somewhere around 100 once (on 9 holes).

      Delete
    2. I've matched that 9 hole score plenty of times. There's a course near Florence, Oregon where it's laid out all along the coastal dunes (Rhodo-Dunes is the name of the course). It's nothing but sand and rhododendron bushes for 18 holes - an 18-hole sand trap, essentially. I think I shot around 100 on the first 6 holes, and walked off the course. My worst performance ever. You should try that course, LL. Lots of fun.

      Delete
    3. Is there anyone/anything more interesting than a hole to aim golf balls at? And can I use the moral equivalent of a baseball bat to propel them? See, that's more interesting to me than wearing plaid trousers, two-tone shoes, one of those goofy peaky blinder flat caps and riding around in an electric cart.

      It's obvious to all (possibly including Brig) that anything more complicated than a blackjack or a baseball bat is beyond my ken - which includes the gentlemanly and genteel golf course (unless there are elk on it).

      Delete
    4. Fredd & LL,
      I'm doing this for Dad,
      and the fun of waiting til the guys are on the green setting up for the round winning putt to holler four, and watch them duck & dive.

      Delete
    5. I have to agree with LL.

      Delete
    6. LSP,
      Come now, we all know LL has a very diverse skill set, he's just too damn humble about it.

      Delete
  3. I know your dad enjoyed helping you even though he missed getting to play. Was that you retrieving the golf balls from the water...LOL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      Dad loves the game, me I just like being outside. Maybe diving for golf balls could be my next career, what do you think?

      Delete
  4. Teaching might be almost as good as playing. At least he is on the course, in fresh air and helping his daughter. Sounds win/win to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Patti,
      He is a good instructor, and cuts me no slack, which I appreciate.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like he has a good plan for you. I'm more a tennis type. Golf is just too slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      Yaa, I'm a little leery of his plans.
      Have you tried pickle ball, even faster than tennis, and a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes living vicariously isn't so bad. I suspect your dad takes a lot of pleasure just in being out with you, even if you're the one hitting the ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shoreacres,
      He did have a good time,
      between his dry sense of humor and my irreverent quips, there were a lot of zingers flying back and forth.

      Delete
  7. Time for something like this?
    http://solorider.com/second.jpg
    Some courses have these for rentals too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Thank you for the heads up, I haven't seen one of those before! Will have to show him that one, for sure.

      Delete
  8. Golf is a good way to spoil a long walk...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      LOL, it sure can be...

      Delete
  9. Beer Cart sounds kind of appealing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely have had a different experience with your dad than mine. Mine dragged me out to the course all the time when I was a teen, then harped on my abilities each and every time. (I think he thought he was teaching me the game.) To this day, I have zero desire to step foot on another course.

    As for your dad, driving the cart was the best part of golfing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your dad.
      I have been blessed to have a dad that encouraged me in every sport I "wanted" to participate in.
      Dad had a cart that was street legal til a few years ago. I rode with him out to the golf course exactly once, before I said Oh Hell No to that insanity...

      Delete
  11. You can also meet nice guys while playing golf, Brig. Now, regarding your dad and golf. At the Morro Bay Course, where we play whenever we are on the Central Coast, we see a father (old) and son and they play this way: The son hits the drives and the fairway shots and the chips. The dad putts. They seem to have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri,
      Oh, I don't doubt for a minute that "meet nice guys" isn't part of his plan.
      That's an interesting idea on how he can participate, we will have to give it try. Thanks.

      Delete