Thursday, March 23, 2017

Chirp...

White hair moments are few and far between around here, thank God, but they do happen. When they do it is usually too embarrassing too relate to you, even for me, but what the heck!

A week ago, I was awakened at O dark thirty by an occasional Chirp. Got up and went in search of the offending Chirper. Finally got to the area, which happened to be above the doorway inside Dad's bedroom.  Dad was sleeping, and didn't have his hearing aides in, so it wasn't bothering him. It was bothering me. Got the ladder out of the garage, and  proceeded to climb up to the Chirping smoke alarm. Checked it, it seemed fine, but still Chirping, must need new back up batteries. The smoke alarms in the house are hard wired, so the back up batteries had to be the problem. Easy fix, well not quite. Managed to wrangle the unit open and pull the old batteries, Chirp... what?  Ok, put new batteries in, check the the wiring plug, Ok... Chirp!  What the hell!  It has to be this one, because this is where the Chirping is coming from. Put it all back together, go on line to do a little research, and the advice is: "You need a new smoke alarm."  Well that's just dandy. The hardware store doesn't open for a while yet, and I can't leave til Dad's home health lady gets here, anyway. Crawl back in bed, and try to go back to sleep, nope, Chirp... 
Finally, the home help lady arrives and I climb back up the ladder, unplug the unit, throw it in a bag, and head out to the hardware store.  Did I hear a Chirp as I got in the pickup!?
Arriving at the hardware store, I ask for help in the smoke alarm section. Of course, the employee that finally decides to breakaway from the morning coffee klatch of building contractors,  has only been in this section a few days.  He looks at my smoke alarm, asks how old our house is, 2001.  "Oh, that old, well they have changed the plug in on all the newer smoke alarms, so you will need a whole new unit, and have to have a new plug wired in."  I presume this will require an electrician, Damn. 
Get the new smoke alarm home, and I'm greeted by a Chirp as I walk in the door. What the hell!  Up the ladder, plug the old smoke alarm back in, screw the base back in, push the tester, screaming noise, then silence... then Chirp...  I climb back down the ladder, ask Dad (who is now wide awake thanks to the screaming test alarm) if he knows why/how that damn thing keeps Chirping.  He gives me a smurky smile (which I should have learned to be suspicious of)  and says "nope, you will just have to figure it out." Chirp...
I start to go back up the ladder and decide it would be safer if I close Dad's door and work from inside his bedroom. As I'm closing the door, CHIRP...  What, What is that on the wall, (behind the door that I have never closed from inside the bedroom) but a CHIRPING... carbon monoxide alarm! 
Change out the batteries in that alarm, no more chirping. Put the newly purchased smoke alarm back in the bag, and return it to the hardware store. "What is your reason for returning this item?"
"I'm a white haired berserker!" 
Come home, and ask Dad, "why didn't you tell me there was another alarm behind the door?"   
"You figured it out didn't you?"  

18 comments:

  1. I have twelve smoke alarms in my house. Figuring out which one is chirping is an interesting exercise. I have a drawer where I keep 9 V batteries to replace them. Because I have 10' ceilings downstairs and 9' ceilings upstairs, I need a ladder, which I keep ready.

    Dad (RIP) was just trying to keep you on your toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      There are almost that many in this house, and a couple are in the living room with the cathedral ceiling, if those start I will have to get a long extension ladder...
      Dad was very good at keeping me on my toes!

      Delete
  2. Last time my alarm started chirping I simply threw it in the waste basket and bought a new one. Obviously, it's not hardwired, but the lady a Ace informed me that most smoke alarms should be sh*t canned after a few years because of some little electronic thingy wears out.

    I absolutely can't have any chirping. Our wonderful little Frankie doggie hates and fears the chirp. He crawls under my robe and shivers at every chirp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      I didn't know they had built in obsolescence, but it doesn't surprise me these days.
      Willie doesn't mind the noise, he is usually napping under the duvet on my bed, but then he doesn't get up til late morning...

      Delete
  3. I have nightmares about my alarms chirping and being out of batteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn,
      Thankfully no nightmares here. I have a drawer full of different size batteries, maybe it comes from living in the back of beyond and needing to have what I might need on hand.

      Delete
  4. The exact same thing happened to me, except after days I got frustrated and called in an electrician and he went through the same as I and then we both discovered together that it was a carbon monoxide alarm on the wall across the room! I wonder how any times people go through this same thing? At least you were not out $100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      Dang, he charged you that much for finding the chirpper! I will soon be paying an electrician to find the problem with the overhead lights in the garage, ugh.

      Delete
  5. That is why ours was ripped off the ceiling and never replace. I hate that sound. It was hard wired in too. Good to know would need electrician to replace. Won't be happening.(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      Whoa, I must admit I'm thinking that shooting out the ones in the high, high ceiling of the living room has crossed my mind...

      Delete
  6. Damn, and I was expecting a cricket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      A cricket would have been sooo much easier.

      Delete
  7. Ohhhh... Gotcha with that one, and I was expecting a cricket too, since I had one get in the house and park it's little butt in the living room under the couch which was below the smoke detector... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      That is funny, I had not thought of it being a cricket. Glad you found the little butt.

      Delete
  8. When a battery goes on one of my smoke alarms, the alarm is replaced with one with a 10 year battery (and guarantee).
    Two down and a few more to go.
    Under $20 each, with 9v batteries at $2+ each the new alarm pays for itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jon spencer,
      I saw those at the hardware, and wonder if they were as good as they said. Still I would have to have the hard wire plugs rewired to fit the configuration of the new alarms, unless I misunderstood.

      Delete
  9. This reminds me that I need new smoke alarms and my son is here this weekend so guess what?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      What a good son to do that for his mom. Mine is too far away, sigh.

      Delete