Sunday, September 3, 2017

Fly'n and Hunt'n...


Dad and his best friend are going to be hunt'n together again...
 
We haven't been able to fly Dad up to hunt'n camp since T had a knee surgery, then flying, and off roading commitments all over the West.  Last Thursday worked for both our schedules.  So, I did a bit of checking and figured a way to scatter the ashes.  Most of Dad (saved some for my brother), and two big packages worth of wild flower seeds (suitable for the area) where mixed together, rolled up in a painters cloth, secured, and made ready to fly.




 T picked me up very early as we wanted to miss as much of the heat thermals as possible. Got all the maps plugged in, plane out of the hanger, gear & Dad stowed, fired up the engine, and checked the visibility. T doesn't have a IFR, and the rule around here is 3 miles or less visibility requires a IFR. Had to shutt'r down, as vis was down to 1.5 miles by that time. T was very apologetic, told him not to worry, there was no rush, and I certainly hadn't heard one word out of Dad complaining about the delay. (All the fires around us are not only making the heat worse but the air is horrible as well.) We rescheduled for early Monday morning, and if the TAF METAR maps hold true we should be good to go. Dad will be flying one last time...

16 comments:

  1. I'm sure he's smiling down on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sure is smiling down on you, and he certainly couldn't wish for anyplace better than the old hunting camp as a resting place. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. c w swanson,
      It's were he wanted to be, he flew his best friend's ashes up there years ago...

      Delete
  3. sic transit gloria mundi - The hunting camp (really anyone's hunting camp) always has a touch of the sacred about it, haunted by memories of friends, epic success and empty failure. There's a place, possibly similar to that one, where I asked my family to dump my ashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      You said it much better than I could, thank you.

      Delete
  4. hope it was good air and could be done. Camp must be in the Sierras?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain Trueax,
      It is on the edge of the Sierras.

      Delete
  5. You'll get him there. Patience is a virtue, and as you said, he's not complaining! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      One would think that as one gets older patience would come easier, not so much for some of us...

      Delete
  6. Hope weather holds out for you. It is really smoky here. What a great way to deliver him to his final resting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      Dad & I were talking late one night, and he told me where he wanted his ashes scattered. I asked him if he wanted to fly up there, he got the biggest grin, and said he would like that a lot.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Woodsterman,

      LOL... I'm going to assume you meant WINGS.

      Delete
  8. I especially love the addition of wildflower seeds. That makes me more than usually happy. I hope all works out for you (worked out for you? you said "Monday" -- maybe that was today), but when the time is right, things will work out.

    I couldn't stand it any more and went out for a couple of hours this afternoon to see if there might be some wildflowers around here. What did I find? Rain lilies, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shoreacres,
      Thanks, Dad liked wildflowers, so seemed like a good idea.
      Hope things are getting better there, now I need to go look up Rain lilies...

      Delete