Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sure as shoot'n...

What a shooty morning, I absolutely loved it.  
Late last night Dad said, "You want to go shoot some clays tomorrow?  Oh, I forgot your shoulder is a little sore from the driving range!"
"Dad, I golf left handed, but I shoot right. I'll get the gear ready."
A friend of ours went too, in fact we took his rig so his Lab could get a workout as well.  He trained his dog, Lassen, and I have never seen a better trained gun dog.


Dad brought along his old model 37 Ithaca 12 ga. for me to use.  He bought that shotgun new in 1950 for $76.00.  I really like that gun: it's light, it's solid, and it's easy to operate.



Not having been in a position to do much shooting in recent years, it was interesting to see how much knowledge was retained... or not.
 Weather in the short grass hills was clear with a brisk North wind.  So, we had a tough cross wind to contend with on the trap range.  Won't say who busted the most clays, because well... the guys were having an off day.
Would've loved to have stayed out there longer, but we could see that Dad was getting cold, and I needed to be back before mom's caregiver left.
I honestly don't give a darn that I will never get a diamond from my mother, but I'm sure as shoot'n putting my name in for that sweet ol 12 gauge.

16 comments:

  1. That shotgun will put food on the table as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ODIE: Damn Straight. She is another nice home defense tool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what you're saying is you done good... ;-) And that old shotty is worth MORE than a diamond... Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OLD NFO: lol...one could say that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a lot of training to go before I can be turned loose with Ron's guns. I do have a nice target area in the back field.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried clays but always enjoyed watching. Wow, $76.00 ?? The good ole days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me how long it's been since I went shooting with my hubby, aka The Oracle. It's been TOO long but I don't see any opportunities opening up for a few more weeks.

    ***sigh***

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once upon a time, I bought my father an Ithaca 37. It didn't get much use in his hands, but it's here now, a fully-serviceable memory of him that will, come the day, put food on the table if called upon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The value of a piece of concentrated carbon that some mine worker picked out of the mud in South Africa doesn't compare to the shotgun your father has/had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GRANNY ANNIE: Practice is a constant. How cool that you have your own range.

    ARKANSAS PATTI: Give it a try, great fun, and a useful skill.

    KRIS: I hope you guys get to go sooner!

    MURPHY'S LAW: Priceless by any measure.

    LL: My thought as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dad gave his old shotgun to someone outside of the family. I was less than happy about that, but never let on. He's never quite gotten my love of good firearms, but he loves me, so I guess that's all that is important. That's a fine piece there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRIGID: Your wonderful Dad's love for you is a treasure beyond measure. Please tell him there are hugs waiting to be delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waxed some rear ends did ya? Outstanding!! I share your admiration for that Ithaca. That's some fine wood and steel right there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SIX: Thanks, I believe I did... and that sweet ol Ithaca is a good match for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice shotgun! My cousin has one of those, he goes out on the Bay above San Rafael to shoot ducks and the hulls drop in the boat. I have Grandpa's Humpback Browning - it's almost to nice to shoot, too nice to take out in the salt-marsh either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. NOTCLAUSWITZ: Thanks, I like it. Sounds like you have a Nice one too.

    ReplyDelete