Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Woody Question...



I'm not exactly without some experience at being cheap (free) labor in roofing a garage, pouring concrete sidewalks, building doll houses, cedar decks, & chicken houses, making Morris chairs, tiling kitchens and bathrooms, etc...  
With that in mind I finished fixing two doors at my end of the house that have been sticking since the first big storm. Dad says the house is settling... but why then only two doors out of four that are in close proximity?  Anyway, I would have marked the sticky parts, taken them down and planed them off out in the garage, but his house, his rules, and he wanted them sanded off in place.  Got the big ladder setup, put new heavy grit paper in the old sander and started in...while hanging off the ladder with one leg around the door to keep it from moving. Dad's old sander, has one speed crazy FAST, and was doing a job of taking down the top of the door.  Keeping the sander level was a challenge most of the time, plus I had to stop often in order to test the door.  Finally finished one door, moved the ladder, and got three quarters of the way done with the second door, when a small glimmer * of a thought came to me.  Why don't I plug in the whole house vac hose and hold it next to the sander, more over why the heck didn't I do that at the start?  Too late, everything for ten feet around and myself was covered in lots of sawdust...
So, my question is: should I paint the top of the doors to keep them from absorbing moisture or ...?

11 comments:

  1. haha!! Love the imagery. You are so my berserker kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK..I have two doors that need the same treatment. All I could envision was sawdust everywhere when you wrote in place!! If they are exterior doors you better paint that sanded edge! But then you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanded --- in place???

    Ok, seal the tops of the doors, don't paint them. Give it two or three doses of sealer until it doesn't absorb anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the day.....

    Alas a metal hip prevents me fro doing tricks like that these days.:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a pretty impressive feat. Glad it worked and you didn't take a tumble. Perhaps go all Tim the Tool man and use a leaf blower to blow the dust out the now fixed doors--or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. +1 on the sealer, otherwise you'll be doing it again... and again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. *shakes head in wonder at the mental picture*

    +1 as well on the sealant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ALWAYS ... End grain on a door sucks water like a sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JENNY: Takes a Berserker to know one...lol.

    TABOR: You are more perceptive than I.

    LL: Thanks, that sounds like a plan.

    GRANNYMAR: I'm getting there without the metal parts, so far...

    ARKANSAS PATTI: Tim the Tool man and the Cowman where related...lol

    OLD NFO: That's what I was wondering...thanks.

    EURIPIDES: It is not a pretty pic is it! Thanks.

    WOODSTERMAN: Thanks for the advice, from a guy that would know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with dad: repair in place, why go through the extra work of taking the door off and then put back on simply to belt sand the high spot.

    Belt sander, right?

    Treating the repaired area: paint, sealer, virtually anything will work; lipstick, tar, fiberglass resin, peanut butter, vasolene. Well, maybe not peanut butter....

    ReplyDelete
  11. FREDD: I wish...Dad doesn't have a belt sander, mine is not here, so his cheapo palm sander...
    I already used all the peanut butter trapping feral felines, two shunks, and a possum... winter coat time.

    ReplyDelete