Sunday, May 22, 2016

the Wrong Dope...

I'm telling you if things get much more exciting around here...





Yesterday, as I was doing some late afternoon jungle pruning between rain storms, I heard water running. Went for a look see around the house and there in front was a busted pipe. Well that's interesting, I'll just turn the shut off valve to off, and repair it. Except that didn't turn off the water, it seems the leak was above the valve. Hmm, off to find the main shut off. I went to where I thought it was, and there one was. Turned it to the off position, tried the faucet beside it, no water. Yeah!  Walked back around the house to find water still pouring out. Hmmm. 

Went in the house to ask Dad where the Main water shut off was.  Well he had to look at the problem before he could answer that. After some discussion it was decided that it had to be the other shut off by the other shut off... Finally the main water main was found and shut off.  

Then Dad decides he will supervise the repair from the seat of his walker. As I head to the shop for parts & tools he is telling me to get the very things I'm in the process of getting. Pipe wrench, hacksaw, couplings, emery cloth, pipe dope, and a trowel.  Following his explicit instructions I dig out the buried part of the pipe. Then, using the ancient hack saw with the first blade ever made, I saw nearly through the pipe below the shut off valve, remove the saw and run the emery cloth around the cut. Finish cutting the pipe, jockey it to the side, and remove the shut off above the cut.  

Here I can see that the wrong pipe dope was used. The seal between the pipe and the valve had failed. I'm not saying much about this out loud, because I'm fairly sure that Dad installed this section when the house was built. Run the emery cloth over all the parts that will be put together. Cleaned and dried all the fittings. Put the correct pipe dope on the top of the valve, shoved it on, waited a few minutes, and did the same with the coupling where I had sawed the pipe apart. 

Dad said to give it fifteen minutes or better to setup and then test the line, he had a ball game to watch.  Put all the tools back, waited, turned on the main and tested the line. No leaks.  Went in to tell Dad it was not leaking anymore.  

Dad said, "Good job, Sis, you learned something today." 

LOL, I did, I learned that I better pray that's the only connection he used the wrong dope on...




29 comments:

  1. That's so funny, Brighid. I would have called a plumber 'cause I'm lazy like that. You are just too precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I don't think I have ever been called precious before, thanks.

      Delete
  2. I pray every night to be just like you:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie,
      OMG, be careful what you wish for...

      Delete
  3. It likely is not if he put the plumbing in the house originally...but it held this long, didn't it? That confidence should allow you to sleep soundly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      I have checked as many of the connections as possible, and it appears this is the only one he did like that.
      Sleep... what is sleep!

      Delete
  4. Made me smile. My Dad supervised EVERYTHING! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickenmom,
      Oh Dad is a character of the first order. Glad to make you smile with memories.

      Delete
  5. Good Job(-:
    I repair pipes a lot it seems due to cows stepping on them in the garden.
    Yup their hooves reach down to China too, but they also like to run directly over the sprinklers.
    I think the sprinklers are like flags waving at them to head over this way.
    Ugh! Soon the beasts will be gone back to their Summer home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      I think you are right about the magnet sprinklers. Our horses were hard on the solid sets in the horse pastures. They seemed to think they were for playing in.

      Delete
  6. I am impressed that you know right dope from wrong dope and can cut a pipe...what biceps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      Don't be too impressed, I read the labels.
      I ask myself the same question, "what biceps?"

      Delete
  7. Dope, dope, dope ... I was visualizing a copper main pipe that had a "Freeze Break" in it at first. Pipe dope, pipe dope ... Aha Plastic pipe? Every kind of plastic pipe has a different kind of solvent and a different kind of glue ... Am I close? GOOD WORK PLUMBER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odie,
      You are spot on. I used that new fangled two in one dope. Thanks, but I'm no plumber.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Barbar Cat,

      Yep, Dad has a lot of patience!

      Delete
  9. Finally got around to you neck of the woods just in time to read about your adventure with dope. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      Hmmmm, is that really you? Thank you for dropping by and commenting.

      Delete
    2. Yep. It's me. School's let out for a few weeks, leaving me time to actually do the blogging bit.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you were repairing PVC. I did a lot of that in Fl. Ya done good and I had to laugh at your last line. At least now you know where the main cut off is. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Patti,
      Yes ma'am. We live in hope around here.

      Delete
  11. Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me. You and your dad should have made a YouTube. Now, that would have been a scream. Consider it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri,
      Nope, not going there. It is bad enough that I write about our misadventures...

      Delete
  12. Oops, it's the 'little' things... :-) Nice Fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      It's amazing how little things can quickly become big things.

      Delete
  13. You're very patient, Brig. I'm afraid I was not quite as reserved with my old man, and I regret it. But I was even less philosophical with the previous owner of my house who botched just about everything he ever did to it. I never confronted him, but I enjoyed building an "Idiot Museum" full of all the bad plumbing examples and hot, dead-end wiring he left inside the walls without electrical boxes. The museum was really only a few labeled coffee cans full of conversation pieces, but it made me feel better about wasting 10 years fixing all the problems he caused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOMC,
      I'm really not as patient as I should be, but I am working on it.
      Having lived in so many different houses, from brand new to really old, has been interesting. Like your "Idiot Museum", mine would take a pallet jack to move...

      Delete
    2. Reminds me of my current place. Now, the house has been there a fair old while; 1860 give or take a year for a build date. Way back then, they didn't have electricity, the water came through a lead pipe and the toilet was out back in the yard, oh and there was pretty certainly a shallow coal mine under the place.

      In the intervening years, electrickery came, indoor bathrooms came and much ado was talked about the ground rents. I bought back in 2000, and over the last decade or so, have been slowly sorting out the previous owner's attempts at DIY. Painting, plumbing, building; there was no start to his talents. Score so far is one bodged heating system replaced, a couple of doors rehung, some plumbing and another door to replace as soon as a round tuit becomes available.

      Delete
    3. Dan,

      LOL, Sounds like a couple of the houses the Cowman and I lived in. One in particular, when it rained hard a channel of towels was made so the water pouring in the uphill door could run across the living room and out the front door...

      Delete