Saturday, May 2, 2015

Out of country...



It's Kentucky Derby time, and since I don't have a horse in this race I will be out back pruning & clearing brush, keeping an eye out for jingle worms, and assorted other critters...

If I did have a horse in this race I would wear this hat in a heart beat. 




 Most of the time, Charlie 1 Horse hats are a little too much for me, but this one done up by Jennifer Smith of stsranch.com for the Derby is exhilarating (is that even a cowgirl word).

Not likely to be going to a Derby anytime soon, as I would rather spend the price of A (as in (1)ONE) Woodford Reserve mint julip ($2,000) on other things. 

There is a country saying that goes something like: You can take the ol girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the ol girl... 


11 comments:

  1. I'm guessing it's $4,000 for s double. And how much is the fancy Derby hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL: I think the high dollar julep is raising $$$$$$ for charity, so it's tax deductible all the way round.
    The unadorned version of the Charlie 1 Horse hat goes for $33. One could easily do the whole thing for $40.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love that hat and maybe even an old fart like me could look good in it? Daughter went to a Virginia horse event and looked pretty nice...according to a photo on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a neat hat.
    Yikes, that price could keep a person sober.
    Just caught the tail end of the race. Darn I forgot it was on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot all about the Derby. Ah me. Love that hat though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TABOR: I'm about the same age as you are, and we could so rock that hat!

    ARKANSAS PATTI: The juleps sound pretty pricey don't they. I didn't get to watch it, knee deep in yard work.

    GRANNY SUE: So good to hear from you, thanks for stopp'n by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 8 hours of drinking for a 2 minute horse race... Thousands of drunks :-) The hat is pretty neat though! I'd love to see a bunch of Western girls/women show up at Churchill Downs... THAT would be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OLD NFO: All those cowgirls would be a Hoot!

    GRANNYMAR: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Considering horses and cowboys go together like peanut butter and jelly, a little ditty comes to mind: 'mammas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.'

    I think that was Einstein that penned that one.

    ReplyDelete