Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Color wheels...



As mentioned before I have been trying to make Dad's daily trips to radiation treatments an adventure of sorts.
There have been developments. Now cute secretary Barbie has started calling us Trouble 1 (Dad) and Trouble 2 (me). Dad gets top billing because he's older, not because he's more Trouble.


I found a coupon for the craft store, and got an adult coloring book, markers, and colored pencils. Took them in the waiting room and started coloring.  Dad looked at me like I had lost it... til a young woman (patient mid 20s) & her husband came through. We have seen them before, but they never said much. She saw the coloring book, and lit up. "I got a coloring book from a friend, and it has been more fun," she said.  We talked for a while, with both her and her husband giving laughing goodbyes, and see you tomorrows when they left.
An older lady came in to wait for her turn for treatment, she looked at me, looked at the coloring book, looked at me, and said, "I've heard coloring is great therapy". I told her I was leaving it in the waiting room and anyone could use it whenever they wanted. She laughed and said "Thanks, I might just do that".
Today, an older man (patient) came in and sat across from me, I said Hi, and kept coloring.  He said, "that looks like fun, mind if I give it a go?"  "No sir, go right ahead!"
Next a couple came, the husband (patient) in a wheelchair, the wife was hanging in by a very thin thread. She looked at the coloring book, looked at me coloring, kinda shook her head, and went back to trying to make her husband comfortable. Next thing I know Dad is done, and it's time to go. I put the pencils, markers, sharpener, & eraser in a zip lock bag, closed the coloring book and placed them on the bookshelf under secretary Barbie's window. The patient's wife said, "Oh, I thought you brought those."  "I did, but they stay here, and anyone who wants to can use them." The wife said with a shaky laugh, "You don't have to tell me twice, I'm on it!"  I looked at Barbie and winked, she gave me a thumbs up, and mouthed, "aah, Trouble 2."
Who knew lessons learned in a couple years working nights in ER admitting, interacting with stressed out staff & patients, would come in handy.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is inherited from Trouble 1, I think.

      Delete
  2. Coloring sounds more calming than Sudoku. Do you have to stay inside the lines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more calming! Inside the lines is for recovering OCD...

      Delete
  3. You are one smart cookie. This fad is very popular and while I have not started such I do remember how coloring was such soothing therapy when I was 10-18 or so. I loved the way life stayed so neatly in the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It solves nothing, but is calming.

      Delete
  4. If you just put the book on the shelf, folk may not have used it. Seeing you do so was a master stroke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the master stroke thing, but it was a way to get others to enjoy.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Coloring has been around for a while...

      Delete
  6. That's great! I color when my Granddaughter is here(-: I think I color more then she does(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like blowing bubbles, which I do from time to time. It always struck me as sad when little kids thought they were too old to do that sort of thing. There are no age limits. Enjoy that little girl, they grow up very fast.

      Delete
  7. I love adult coloring books. They are very calming. I wish I had had them when we were involved in chemotherapy. What a good idea to have them there for patients

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun, and calming! One more week after this one and we are done with Dad's radiation, YeeHaa!

      Delete
  8. They are the rage...never considered the palliative effect of them, however. Excellent idea, B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri, it works well for the moment. Today when we left there were two patients and one spouse talking about colors, styles, etc. and coloring away.

      Delete