Wednesday, January 20, 2016

All choked up...

Marymine went on a personal mission seven months ago to improve her health and get in shape.  She has worked hard to make it happen.  Three days a week she works out with a no mercy personal trainer, and the rest of the time on her own.  Not an easy thing for a very busy mother of four, who always puts everyone else first, but she has prevailed.

She called the other day to tell me she had signed us up for a 5K (whatever the heck that is) in March.  

"Who is us?"  I asked.  
"You and me, mom!" she said.  
I choked on my coffee...  
She said, "Mom, you get to wear a sparkly green shirt."  
I choked on my doughnut...  
"You get to wear a tutu, Mom!"  
I choked on a chocolate kiss... 





  "It'll be fun, Mom," she said.  
I choked on my last bonbon... 
 "You don't have to run it Mom, You can walk it." 
I choked on my indignation... 
"I'm all in, and screw the walking, I'm running. I'm 69, not dead!" I  laughingly said. 

So, in order to salvage a bit of my foolish pride, I have gone into training, with Willie as my personal running partner. We head out early mornings in a manner befitting berserkers. Willie wearing his mangy hide, and I wearing my Sacred Heart rummage sale running shoes, holy yoga leggings, a Cabela's tee under a Coeur d'Alene rugged issue sweatshirt, and a BEEF is Best ball cap.
 
I'm already dreaming of burning the tutu while drinking a Guinness at the end of the 5K.   

31 comments:

  1. Wear the tutu in the 5K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm going to. Just need to find some appropriate head gear, something with horns, perhaps.

      Delete
    2. Good for you. Don't train too hard.

      Delete
  2. Good for you supporting your daughter. That is just what daughter's need. I have never run in any "k" but would do so if my daughter needed the support. Wearing a green sparkly tutu...not so sure about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, you know you would wear one, for the daughters sake.

      Delete
  3. Where I live, in order to log a few K's of jogging, one has to don mukluks, a fur parka and about 4 or 5 under layers; it was -9 degrees three days ago.

    Maybe I could have a few of those bonbons that you won't be needing, Brighid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Sure Fredd, just like I can't find my headlamp so I can run real early...
      You missed the part about "last" bonbon. I'll see what I can do about that.

      Delete
  4. You GO, girl!! Getting to wearing anything with sparkles is worth it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marymine is big on sparkly, me not so much.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Don't be, I haven't run it yet.

      Delete
  6. You go girl. Pretty sure I'd have told her I'd greet her at the finish line with refreshments. Do hope you take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, I sure hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful,pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to end up a speed bump on the road around here...

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Oh my, not much pressure there...

      Delete
  9. This is the funniest post EVER. You're awesome. BURN UP that damn tutu when it's done--along with the ribbon you'll earn putting the rest of them to shame.
    Go git 'em. ;)

    And please, please wear headgear with horns. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, Thanks for the encouragement! I'm working on the headgear.

      Delete
  10. If it don't go well, it was nice knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rat, Hahahaha... didn't I get booted from your blog a few years back for a comment I made...

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Padre, If you could work in a couple candles and a prayer...

      Delete
  12. LOL, waiting for the pictures of that! :-) Stay safe on your 'training' runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, there may be pictures... It's a darn good thing the neighborhood is full of active & retired LEOs, Marines,& other good folk, they just smile when the armed berserker goes by.

      Delete
  13. For once I am glad to have a hip replacement. No running allowed! LOL However I could go for the green tutu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would look great in a green tutu!

      Delete
  14. First ... you look too good to be my age. I walk two miles a day and comfortable. 5k equals 3.1 miles and that's quite a run. When I stay at the GSR in October they have a Brest Cancer run and I see most people walking in groups and having a great time. In my yute I used to run track and cross country, but I can't imagine it today.

    I have a feeling you're going to do great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Never ran T&F, just across fields hurdling the windrows. I may have adjust for age.

      Delete