Tuesday, January 26, 2016

out run...



Oh My God... what in the name of all that is holy was I thinking!
I hope you people with your glowing words of encouragement, while snickering behind your coffee cups, have not put any discretionary funds on this endeavor.
A former runner gave me a workout program, to use as a format for getting in shape to run the 5K. Downloading the program was the easy part.

First day of training:
Couldn't find my vest of many pockets to pack my phone, my glasses, Willie's dp bags, my little Sig, three mags, my knife, water bottle, first aide kit, and a tube of lip balm. Finally uncovered it and loaded up. There will be no photos, use your imagination.
Put Willie on his lead, and headed out.
Not too bad the first 5 minutes...
Then controlled breathing goes to a loud wheezing, gasping sound.  A thoughtful neighbor asks if he needs to call the EMT's, there is no air to answer, so I just shake my head, No!  He salutes me with his coffee cup to hide his laughter.
The girls are not at all happy about the darn sports bra, they prefer free range lounging pj's.
The ankle I tore up as a kid, has decided it really doesn't care to do this, and will protest by alternating between muscle spasms and shooting pain.
Willie has lost all sense of how to behave on a lead. He does not seem to comprehend that if I fall on him, he is done for.
Our neighborhood is in the hills, hills go up & down... a lot. Thank goodness for kegels. Kegels are our friends when we are far from home.
As we are headed back, I smell someone BBQing brauts, wait, it's early in the morning... hmmm.
According to the Jackwagon running program there is a day off between workouts so your body can rest. Rest!?!  How about heal the heck up.

  

18 comments:

  1. Pace yourself, girl. I run on an elliptical as my joints cannot take the pounding anymore. I also have a bum foot instead of an ankle protest as you. Heal, also do not forget to stretch at the end of each run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, At this stage I'm alternating between timed fast walking and running, it gives me a chance to suck in some air. Stretching at the end of each run entails collapsing spreadeagled on the living room floor...

      Delete
  2. Maybe a small motorcycle would be a better choice to do the course in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, You could be right, but I'm way under funded for a scooter, and just a little tinsey bit stubborn...

      Delete
  3. Walking is easier(-: With many rest periods in between(-: I have a bad knee so I have to walk. I use to be a runner in high school etc. I am afraid that will never happen again in this life. Best of luck to you(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindee, there are a lot of changes in pace in this program, so I'm hoping that will make it doable over time. Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  4. I no longer run. Walking is good enough for me, so I will stand on the side line and cheer you on! Reading a 'Couch to 5K' programme the advice is like Tabor's: PACE YOURSELF.

    Have you weighed all the items you added to your pockets? Why not let Willie carry some of them for you... just a thought.

    If I walk from home to the far end of my town and back it would be 5K and the final 1/3 is up a steep hill. Last time I ran up that hill was when Elly was at junior school. Old history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the radiation tech that got me started with the Couch to 5K plan swore that it is the best way to go. I am pacing myself, but mine is the sr pace. Willie is out as a carrier, he doesn't have a CCW.

      Delete
  5. No photographs needed. You painted the picture very well with your words. I am rolling in the floor with laughter. Kegel on my friend. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My much loved MIL encouraged me to do kegels, the woman had seven kids, she knew what she was talking about...

      Delete
  6. Funny, funny stuff, Brighid! Maybe you should be training with the horned viking headgear, and then you could laugh at the neighbor when he snorks his coffee out of his nose! Good luck with the running, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt, thank you for the comment. I had thought to wait for the race to wear one, but now that may well change to sooner.

      Delete
  7. Ouch... Slow and easy to start there lady! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NFO, LOL, if I got any slower I'd be standing still..

      Delete
  8. Funny post, full of descriptive detail...I say go for it (as you are).
    Not sure what you are doing to strengthen your muscles but I hope you are doing something other than just running. Yoga is good but not for strength training. Love the Sig detail!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri, Thanks! There is a place close that has strength training classes, and I have been considering that. Doable if I drop the formal yoga class.

      Delete
  9. You do know you're allowed to walk those things don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman, Yep I know, but I'm not that wise...

      Delete