Saturday, January 30, 2016

It will be fine...

This week sorta got away from me, none of the chores got done til today. All the normal stuff was put on hold cause the rain let up for a day, the girls called, and we were gone to the range.


rant on: If you are going to have a big beautiful multi venue range (20 miles from much of anything) you should have first aid kits strategically placed around the facility. (I have a fairly complete FA kit in my range bag.)  I asked the gals about the ranges FA kits, as they are members. They said there might be one in the locked building, with a few band aides in it, haha. Not damn funny! rant off. 
Still have trouble with the Walther being super picky about what you feed it. I'm keeping a tally book, so I don't buy ammo it doesn't like. On the other hand, you could probably put rocks in the Sig and it would shoot. 
Gal Hint: If you don't normally paint your fingernails, and you paint them bright red before going to shoot, don't, it's damn distracting.
Next day was a 5K training day. There were things to do for Dad and it was pouring rain so that precluded my running in the AM. No worries I thought, I will go watch them sift the geldings at the Red Bluff Bull & Gelding Sale indoor arena and train in the evening. Picked up a friend and she and I slogged through a fair amount of rain, mud and horse manure to get to the bleachers.  All the usual characters were present. It was almost as much fun to listen in on the talk around us as watch the horses.



 Met a nice older ranching couple from Oregon, that were seated in front of us. She and I swapped ranch horse stories when there was a break in the action. The specific horse we had come to watch was far back in the query, so three and a half hours later we watched it work, and we are out of there. I had not moved from that cold metal bleacher in all that time.  I know better then to set in one position that long, I also know that actions have consequences, or in this case inaction. Got up, grabbed the hand rail, walked down the bleachers, turned the corner, took one step down the stairs and went flying. It must have been something to see!  I made a darn near perfect four point landing on the concrete below with palms and knees. Got up, dusted myself off, thanked the gentlemen that asked me if I was OK.  Proud that I didn't even cuss, and we left the building.  My friend kept saying are you alright, there's blood on your wranglers. Well yes, that's because most of the skin on my knees is missing. 
It will be fine, and it will be, but now I'm off a day in training. Speed walked and jogged in the mist this morning, cause the knees are a tad sore. It will be fine...

30 comments:

  1. I suggest that you have the Walther's ramp/throat polished. That may help with feeding issues. Any gunsmith will be able to do that.

    I'm glad you're getting the ran that y'all have been praying for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, Thanks for the tip about the Walther.

      I'm thrilled, reservoirs are filling! We have had rain & sun, rain & sun... the cowman lives by grass, and it is growing with some strength in it.

      Delete
  2. I'm a true believer in revolvers. No jamming, no safeties, no fuss, no muss.

    It the round fits into the cylinder, it will fire. None of this polishing ramps and throats, no jacking a round into the chamber, no fumbling with safeties when fractions of seconds matter.

    Get a revolver, Brighid. A couple of them, if it makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredd, Well see I have a wheel gun, a Taurus... made in the back room of a bar in S America. I've shot a fair number of revolvers,prefer my Sig for now.

      Delete
  3. I did some practice shooting yesterday for the first time in ages and missed every time. Hope I don't have any intruders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice is a good thing, and I sure hope you get some time in at the range.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're able to be in an upright and locked position after that fall.

    I know nothing about guns and definitely need to get to the range. We have a wonderful indoor range just minutes from my house. No excuses!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      I was grateful that only a few die hards where around to see me go flying.
      Bill has a great blog with lots of good info re: shooting, prepping etc. http://eiaft.blogspot.com/ you might want to give it a look see!

      Delete
  5. Ouchie!!! Glad you are o.k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindee, It was a bit ouchie the first few days, getting better now.

      Delete
  6. If you can dust off and then go running after a fall like that, then you're in pretty good shape. Good job protecting those ACLs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt, Think I was so amazed that I never cussed, and had the presents of mind to thank the gentlemen, was more a factor than the shape I'm in. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  7. Glad you're okay, falls like that HURT! (BTDT)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO: Thanks Jim, damn straight they do!

      Delete
  8. In addition to LL's suggestion, running several hundred rounds through should loosen things up a bit and slow down the misfeeds. Walther's tend not to like bullets with flattened fronts (like self-protection loads). Also be sure to clean and oil your gun after use (which you are probably already doing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides, According to the tally book I've put close to 500 rounds through the Walther, but maybe that isn't enough. You are correct in that it has to be clean & oiled to work. I appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

      Delete
    2. 500 rounds shoulda done it. Well, it looks like you're back to counting the loads that work best for your particular gun. At the range, I've found that Winchester makes good ammo for my 9 mm, .40 and .45. I'm shooting Springfields, but you never know.

      Delete
  9. Sounds as if you dodged a bullet...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Growing more badass by the minute. This is why I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, Sweet ol granny, no way! (((Hugs)))

      Delete
  11. Hey, no cussing? Pain is where I cross the line and have been known to let loose. Well placed profanity is a great pain reliever. Hope you are limber and pain free soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Patti, LOL, Do you think I was in shock? I'm healing up. Hope you are doing better, missed you.

      Delete
  12. Dress those wounds. I hate falling for so many reasons, but don't we all. I am so sorry and hope it all heals in good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, I did for the first few days, than let the air at them, and they are on the way to healing.

      Delete
  13. It's now Feb 1, so Happy St. Brighid's day! My European and Indian Catholic friends celebrate their Saint's name day as more important than their birthdays. So this is like your Irish birthday, right? Have a good one, Brighid!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigit_of_Kildare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt,
      Thank you, what a nice thing to say. I find her an inspiration and occasionally an excuse...

      Delete
  14. You really need to stop imitating the Wright Brothers. Did you even try flapping your arms? I don't know if it softens landing, but it do add distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      I didn't flap my arms... the lift/weight ratio was beyond acceptable limits...

      Delete
  15. Ouch and double Ouch! I hat to graze my hands or knees, done it many times in the past, difficult to do with a little graze to the pride as well. Stay well my friend.

    ReplyDelete