Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Findings...

As you all seem to like to know how Dad is getting on, here's what happened today:

I drove him up to his ENT doc for a post radiation scope on his throat. 
Dad's doc is a handsome young man: tall, black hair, sparky blue eyes, and he talks to you, in English. 
As doc walked in the exam room he asked, "are you two arguing?"  
"No sir, we are having a heated discussion," I said. Dad snorted.
"What has you so fired up," asked doc. 
"Asparagus!" said Dad and I at the same time.
A discussion followed between the three of us on the curative properties or lack there of, in asparagus. Turns out doc's a gardener, too.
Doc finally scoped Dad's throat, and as I watched on the monitor it looked good to me. But I'm not a doctor, so I waited to see what doc would say. He was so into talking me through what we were seeing, that Dad finally asked him about it.
"It looks really good to me, there is one spot that is still healing from the radiation. That should further heal with no problems. There is no sign of any Cancer. Come back and see me in three months."
"We can't, we have plans" Dad said.
"Aah, what are you two up to now?" doc asked.
"We have plans for a road trip to Idaho." I said.
"Ok, we'll make it four months out then," and he walked toward the next exam room shaking his head, and grinning...


24 comments:

  1. Good news about your Dad! Hmmmm, will have to try growing some asparagus this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickenmom,
      Thanks, get growing... it takes a few years.

      Delete
  2. That is how I want my older years to be. Busy and optimistic and brave...congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor,
      Thank you, I want mine that way as well.
      On the way up I made a comment about something and Dad said, "I like being with you Sis, your always interesting." I nearly cried... Such a little thing to make him happy.

      Delete
    2. Aw, that is a really touching thing for your dad to say.
      And I second Tabor.
      Lots of love to you, B.

      Delete
    3. jenny,
      Dad has his moments that's for sure! Thanks.
      Hugs

      Delete
  3. Oh that is wonderful news! So happy for you and your Dad(-: Road Trip time!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      It is indeed. Thank you. Stopped at Kent's on the way back to get some of their yummy cottage bacon!

      Delete
  4. Good news! Yay!

    The only wrong way to cook asparagus is over-cooked. I love it roasted or wrapped in wet paper towels and zapped for a few minutes in micro-wave. And larger stalks always get lightly peeled. Makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne,
      Thanks. I like it roasted with a drizzle of olive oil.

      Delete
  5. BBQ the asparagus wrapped in bacon, basted in its own juices!

    And as to DAD, that's great news. I hope that he argues for a very very long time...and that you relent and allow him to buy a Ducati Diavel to ride around on. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      I need to fix it that way, because BACON!
      Thanks, I hope he does too.
      He is just not stable enough on his feet, the legs are giving out on him, or I would have no problem with his getting one. It is one of the things I least like that I have to be the voice of reason...

      Delete
  6. Wonderful news about your Dad. You can relax now. Wonder if that doc is a blogger. Would love to hear his account of the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Patti,
      It is for sure! Yep, I can relax about that one. I don't think he's a blogger or into social media: young man with a busy family, busy practice.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Aah, your going to make me cry, and that's not easily done. Blessed be, Odie.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Nelly,
      It is for sure good news. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  9. That's great news and ROADTRIP!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      It is great news!!!
      Road trips are always a trip with Dad!

      Delete
  10. I often wonder about all the asparagus we planted in Kansas and had to go off and leave it the first year it produced usable plants. It was delicious and I assume our old neighbors are stealing it with glee now. You and your dad actually sound like me and my husband. We kept our medical care givers shaking their heads too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie,
      Your old neighbors are probably blessing you for the bounty!
      I planted a lot of it at one time, but I had access to older plants so didn't have to wait as long. It's another case of not knowing what something really tastes like until you try it fresh.
      Dad's docs and their staffs, love him!

      Delete
  11. Never underestimate the power of the asparagus! I grew up eating the stuff raw out of the back yard and now can tell my students that I'm 218 years old. It's not true, but that's what I tell them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      LOL, dad read an article that said asparagus could cure anything that ailed you. I like asparagus, but have no intention of drinking blenderized gallons of it daily.
      218 you don't say!

      Delete