Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sore...

As I slowly crawled out of bed this early AM I pondered the wisdom of weed whacking a quarter acre of grass yesterday. Started on that little project Friday and promptly fried the motor on the little ol electric trimmer. Off to HD to get a decent gas one, a new gas can, and extra trimmer line. Kalif oversight nanny state people obviously think I can't dismantle the stupid spout on the new gas cans. Hah! Put the new trimmer together, gassed it up, fired it up, and away I went. Did I mention this is on a fairly steep bank, and there are rocks!  I was wearing a pair of jeans, long sleeve shirt, shooting safety glasses, and a pair of ear plugs. I'm pushing up against seventy and this isn't my first rodeo! The new neighbor across the street came and offered me a pair of safety glasses, I thanked him for his concern, and said I was already wearing safety glasses. He got the funniest look on his face, and I realized I was shouting about shoot'n glasses to the poor man, because of the ear plugs. Then the neighbor next door came over to check on my progress. He said I was doing a great job, and would I whack a path through the field so he could walk his lab without worrying about rattlers. I told him he was going to have to wait til they dozed the fire lines... Geez!
Since he was talk'n rattlers, I asked him how the rattler aversion class went with his two young labs.  Seems there is a young guy in town that will come to your house, with live (mouth taped) rattlers, and teach your dog to be averse to messing with them. He started the business as a way to earn some extra money while in college, having no idea how soon it would develop into a full time business.  He charges $100 an hour, has almost no overhead, and is in high demand.   Good going young man.
My first scotty (Katie) was a rattler kill'n machine. She wouldn't bother any other snakes, but she was certain death to rattlers. She would circle them until she felt the moment was right, grab'm and pop'm til they were well and truly dead. Then she would drop them and walk away.


 
The Hooey sticker

Thanks to Fredd, the pickup has a name, "Hank". Fredd will be receiving a personally autographed (run over) by "Hank" memento... (just needs a little more cure time).

Range pie
Thanks to all of you who made suggestions, I appreciate your taking the time to do so!




22 comments:

  1. Weed eating is a lot of work. The hillside adds to the job. We use to live on a hill. Now we just fire up the tractor and take care of it.(-:
    I needed that Rattlesnake guy for Jack. Geez Poor Jack he hates them rattlers. He has not got bit again but that one time was a bad one. However my Dad's dogs get bit a couple times a year. They go after them like crazy. He has Australian Cattle Dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiNdEe,
      It is and I don't bounce back as fast as I used to. Not enough open area and the bank is too steep for a tractor, or a ride mower.
      Say hello to Jack for me. I miss reading about his adventures.

      Delete
  2. Hank is a good name for the pick-up truck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL,
      It really does seem to fit him.

      Delete
  3. I had a GSD bitten by a rattler. The vet saved him but his leg was horribly scarred. Katie was worth her weight in good stuff. You could have hired her out.
    Kudos on weed eating. That is a tough job and kills my back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Patti,
      Had a border collie that got bit twice. She sluffed a lot of tissue on the leg bite, and the hair never grew back.
      Katie was an all in Scotty.

      Delete
  4. Now there's a picture and a half - you yelling at your neighbor about shooting glasses. Hopefully you haven't scared him off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euripides,
      I may have traumatized him for life... he's Hispanic, speaks broken English, and his eyes kept getting bigger and bigger...

      Delete
  5. I greatly envy your bravado! I have another friend who tackles physical chores the same way you do. However my big mission, besides feeding the critters, is to sit up high on my Kubota and mow the back field away from the copperheads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie
      It's really not bravado, I'm just too much of a penny pincher to hire it done. I remember seeing pics of you tearing it up on the tractor! You go girl!

      Delete
  6. Congrats, Fredd. Great name for a pickup! And, man, I hate those rattlers. We're not quite in the season here. Just had 2 feet of snow last weekend. But will come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunt of MC,
      Fredd was spot on with his suggestion!
      Two ft of new snow... strap on the boards young fella!

      Delete
  7. Scary beasts, rattlers. Not sure how my dog would do against them; I'd imagine with great ferocity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LSP,
      I hope you are cautious while you and Blue are out and about. The Cowman was removing forms from a new set of stock scales and was standing with a board in his hand one minute, the next he is jumping up and down, and beating around with the board. He had been standing on a coiled rattler. He never again complained about the weight of those White's smoke jumpers he wore.

      Delete
  8. Good Lord. I haven't run a weedeater in at least 5 years, and I'm younger than you, my friend! As for rattlers--thank goodness they're scarce around here. We just have copperheads to contend with. I hope the aches and pains have settled down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Sue,
      It was not one of my wiser decisions, but I'm almost healed up now, and need to get more done.
      At least, for the most part, rattlers give a warning, and one can usually smell the damn things.
      Thanks for stop'n by!

      Delete
  9. I feel your pain. Up here I've been raking pine needles and it's tough work. I have a rechargeable weed wacker. I really like it. Don't you love those damn gas cans? I went to Reno to get my last two and that damn state did it too. I think it might be nation (liberal protect us from us)wide. Go Hank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      Thanks. I looked at the rechargeable whackers, but thought I'd have better luck with the gas model.
      Yep, we as adults are incapable of using common sense with a gas can. But if you bend the spout just so...
      Hank is a good'n.

      Delete
  10. Bend the spout huh. I take the damn things off and use a funnel. That's improved safety for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodsterman,
      I meant tweaked the spout, and sometimes use a funnel. Really getting tired of this nanny state stuff. Took my Haflingers to the shoe repair, they couldn't glue them because strong shoe glue is not allowed in Cali...

      Delete